Old style chefs spats?

Discussion in 'RLC' started by BuiltLikeAnALp, Oct 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know where I can get hold of the "old style" chef's spats that the clothing store do not issue anymore? I asked my clothing storeman for the NSN but they seem to be discontinued.

Thanks in advance.

2. when you said old style chef spats, i thought you meant when two egg tossers have a go at each other, hence the term SPATS!!

how mongtard of me :oops:

3. When I saw the title, I thought that you might be on about the fact that old

style chefs always spat in the frying pan to see that it was hot enough to

put the eggs in. If it wasn't, they spat again a couple of minutes later.

Good job we were hard in those days. :D

4. Cheer's gents! However by using the term "spats", I mean as in footwear!!!

5. Sorry fella, but like the brass buckled check trousers, I think you'll have to make do with reminiscing. Failing that, try catering catalogues and buy them.

6. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I dont think they make them anymore. I think they favour high leg as hot oil doesn't run down you leg and into the boot with high leg.

Must admit, I did prefer the old style spats, but only after they were broken in. They were also great for sliding accross a wet kitchen floor.

7. Lad I know went on Ex Crusader from Southampton in combats and cooks boots. Got the other end before his SQMS picked him up for them.

Same bloke was also found under the rubble on the back of the Bedford (as you do) quite often, when we pulled in, bit of a Squadron Mascot.

Never saw the old Chefs spats, though remember Chefs right back to 1976, my Chefs wore checks and cooks boots (later on) after ammo's in the squadron but we still couldn't stop them sliding everywhere in kitchens.

Amazing thing was: all that boiling water, gravies, fryers, tea urns, grease and such like, never heard of any Chef getting hurt or burnt (not to say they weren't).

remember that our Chefs would do double shifts, nights and still turn out decent grub, and nothing was too much trouble.

Good on 'em.

8. Good ol' asbestos chefs, gotta love em!

9. Try the clothing store at 17 Port & Maritime!

The boat crews often get issued them.