Old soldiers

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by OldAdam, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. David, an old soldier that I know (some 94 years old, as opposed to my mere 60), recently had a bad fall and was hospitalised.

David was commissioned in 1931, as an infantry officer and served, initially, on the North-West Frontier. His service continued, throughout WWII, and he endied up as a Lt-Colonel.

David is now due to be discharged from hospital but sadly, in the meantime, his wife contracted pneumonia and died.

David is no longer capable of looking after himself and, suffice to say, his family are in no position to look after him themselves. It is not a case of him looking for charity but he is vehemently opposed to going into a nursing home; he says,

'My body may have given up on me but my mind hasn't!' and the prospect of spending his last years being patronised and watching endless TV reality shows fills him with horror, as it would any sane person.

His son is trying to get David to accept the idea of a nursing home and he has asked David's friends and aquaintances for any ideas.

The main question is; are there any military oriented nursing homes that would provide David with a familiar environment for his last few years?
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Try the ABF, they might know.
    I would imagine that they are meas tested though!
  3. I really hope so,because a lot more of us will probaly end up there ourselves,good luck old fella (Sir)
  4. Seconded, or the RBL or the Chelsea Pensioners may know somewhere suitable. Give the guy regards, and condolencies on the loss of his wife.
  5. Cheers, 'G' good idea
  6. If you could give me the area the gentleman is from i can give names and phone numbers he could contact.
    There are Military Homes for such gentlemen.

If you would like to email me:

7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It might be an idea to create a list of them and make this a sticky,

As the Rhodesian says some of us might need them one day!!
  8. I am an active committee member of the ABF......just give me his district and i can point you in the right direction.
  9. If you can contact a:Colonel Paul Cummings,Director Grants & Welfare on

Tel:020 7591 2000

Tell him the area the gent is from and he will give you the contact.

E-mail: enquires@armybenfund.org

Web Site: www.armybenfund.org

Hope this helps
  10. Many thanks, troops, especially Dodger; I've passed on suggestions and details to my contact and we'll see how things go. I'll keep you posted.

Certainly a 'Sticky' on matters such as this would be a great idea.
  11. Cheers OldAdam'lets hope the old fella gets to spend his last days happy,he deserves to
  12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

13. Blesma have nursing homes in Blackpool and Crieff that now take in old service personel.
    All contact numbers are on there web site.
  14. The British Legion also have homes for such well deserving gentlemen. Ask at any Legion branch.