Old Soldier went awol in the 1960s....

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by uncle_vanya, Oct 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's late... Its Sunday evening....I'm bored... and a funny thought popped into me minds... If an old soldier who went awol in the 1960s and was still officially absent.... If said old geezer decided to hand himself in the Monkeys.... would he still have to go to Collie,... or wherever to be given a discharge....?

Just a thought..... anyone know what the record is of the oldest soldier in the British Army being absent, deciding to give themselves up... and no, it ain't moi.... I have my 'Little Red Book'.... Just a topic of conversation after throwing out time at the Pub...
  2. Are you from the Irish Guards perchance?

3. I know of a few who turned up at Deepcut, they just get told to come back in the morning and get some sort of admin discharge.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The first thing to remember is that a crime has been committed (would you let someone off who burgled your house 20 years ago....thought not)When you go awol and admit/hand yourself in/get caught you lose certain rights and benefits once your name is inputted onto the dss/dwp/mod/laearc etc

You lose your mil pension from any time served. You lose your national pension from 65 and received nothing. You lose any benefits from the time you are admin discharged. You also lose any right to work for any government deparment that requires either trust or official secrets act verification.
    You can not marry a foreign national ever or hold a martime licensce. You can not be responsible for looking after or caring for any person in a instituition/hosptital etc or any education facility. Apart from that good luck to your (friend?)

• Bullshit Bullshit x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Fooking hell HH that's savage, almost unbelievably so.

How does someone live if over 65 and no personal pension? is it box in a doorway time?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Late 70's at HMNZS Tamaki (RNZN shore training) an old brit bloke looked in his late 60's turned up at the quarter deck early one morning, stood to attention, said he was a deserter and wanted to hand himself in, from then on all he would do was stand at attention and repeat his name, rank and service number. Joss got medics to drag him off to RNZN hospital - never heard what happened to him.
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I was 2IC at Glencorse in the mid 90s. A chap turned up one day. He'd gone AWOL 20 odd years earlier in NI and had applied for a security job. He wasn't going to be considered till he was discharged and taken off the books as AWOL. It was an interview and admin discharge case.

There's a 'shiny-arsed' and extremely knowledgeable retired chap in DM(A) or whatever it's called these days who does all these cases.
  8. I wonder at what stage someone is deemed fit to just receive an admin discharge after a quick interview? Compared with getting locked up and facing the consequences. Even after two or three years of being AWOL, I imagine that you would end up facing the disciplinary consequences of your offence. However, after say 20 years, you probably wouldnt.

I wonder where they draw the line.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. A mates dad went AWOL from the RGJ in 1971 and shacked up with his Irish Girlfriend in Dublin. Handed himself in in 1988. Was given some covies, a broom and a bedpack and slept/ate in the guardhouse when not sweeping up leaves in the camp. 2 days of this and given an administrative discharge so he could get on with his life.
  10. Brotherton Lad

The chap at DM(A) draws the line. I don't know the policies, but it's been running for over a century, so there's plenty of precedence. I suppose factors like time, aggravating or compassionate mitigating circumstances, and the cost of pursuing a vindictive justice rather than an admin discharge are all weighed up. There's obviously no public benefit in hounding someone who decided to miss parade two decades ago. (Of course if he'd gone off with the Sgts' Mess bar stock, the PRI funds and the RSM's daughter there might be a case for harsher treatment.)
    I suppose in theory there are still chaps AWOL from National Service.
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

He won't get his National Defence Medal (NDM) then!! :rmp:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Just to get the nomenclature correct - he's not an "old-soldier", he's a deserter.
  13. Brotherton Lad

Almost certainly not, more likey to be an old soldier who is AWOL. Desertion is extremely difficult to prove. Anyone know of a successful charge in living memory?
  14. I call "Wah".

Yes, you can't claim JSA for a period (I believe 3 months?) - same as if you get the sack from any job.

Yes, if you went AWOL in the '60s, you would forfeit your mil pension (because you wouldn't have done your qualifying time) - however, if you were on AFPS75 or later, neither AWOL nor desertion are forfeiture offences ...

It won't stop you getting BPSS, married (even to a foreigner) or, necessarily, a Enhanced CRB clearance. No idea if the rules for maritime licences are that strange.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Idrach - what is a wah?