Old Soldier Kills Wife in Failed Suicide Pact

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whet, Apr 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Link

Poor old Lad.

So should assisted suicide be allowed, and should this man languish in jail for carrying out his wives wishes.

In my opinion it should, and he should not.

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

For once agreed - on both counts.

3. Hmm, no suicide note from her then? Waited 2 hours before calling for help did he?
    What would a reasonable person in the street think, apart from the option of buying themselves two singles to Zurich?
    No mention of his injuries and how he survived 2 hours either, nice try Grandad, get in the van!

4. Too difficult an issue to make a credible contribution in this sort of forum. Should be debated in Parliament - in the time the clowns there allocate to laws further restricting our freedom.

5. Something we agree on. The best argument to support this point of view is a visit to a nursing home.

6. Sounds like a decent fella, and I think Euthanasia should be allowed, and that he shouldn't go to jail, same as whet.

7. Euthanasia should be available in the UK. Our method of choice, helium and a exit bag.

8. They want to top themselves, not talk in a funny voice.

9. I once nursed the survivor of a pair of twins who'd done something very similar. He then faced prosecution for murder.

In the absence of any note from her (I wouldn't describe 'Jewels expensive, love you' as a suicide note) I don't think the police or CPS have any option but to try it as murder/manslaughter and see what a jury feel. He may well sound like a decent fellow but equally he could be making that up.

I note that his lawyer has said they'd accept a manslaughter charge. All very sad and I'm not going to comment further as it's ongoing.

10. That's how I see it, he's trying it on.

Too many documentaries about Pattaya on TV to blame.

11. Although I can think of a million reasons not to want to jump off a cliff, :omfg: I think there is a flaw in the argument that Lulworth Cove is crowded in January. 8O

12. NO, we want a sensible debate that will benefit society, and you want to give it to those clowns?

I agree with Whet on this one, in general terms. There is a question in this (specific) case perhaps.

13. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Tug the heart strings all you want, these cases should always be tested in law. The courts generally have shown a fair degree of common sense on cases like these and the book shouldn't be shut simply on the basis of a plausible sob story.

14. A good friend of mine made his final journey to Switzerland last October.

He made his decision three years previously when he was diagnosed with MND. The worry that he and his wife went through in trying to organise the journey and the possible consequences of the final outcome were awful.

While I dont think i can comment on the specifics of this case,i wholeheartedly support legalised euthanasia for those who wish to die with dignity.