Old Soldier Kills Wife in Failed Suicide Pact

Link

Poor old Lad.

So should assisted suicide be allowed, and should this man languish in jail for carrying out his wives wishes.

In my opinion it should, and he should not.

Whet said:
Link

Poor old Lad.

So should assisted suicide be allowed, and should this man languish in jail for carrying out his wives wishes.

In my opinion it should, and he should not.
For once agreed - on both counts.

Hmm, no suicide note from her then? Waited 2 hours before calling for help did he?
What would a reasonable person in the street think, apart from the option of buying themselves two singles to Zurich?
No mention of his injuries and how he survived 2 hours either, nice try Grandad, get in the van!

Too difficult an issue to make a credible contribution in this sort of forum. Should be debated in Parliament - in the time the clowns there allocate to laws further restricting our freedom.

In a 999 call read to the jury, Cooper said: "I've stabbed her. Yeah and I've tried to stab myself, I didn't do quite such a good job on it."
Sounds like a decent fella, and I think Euthanasia should be allowed, and that he shouldn't go to jail, same as whet.

I once nursed the survivor of a pair of twins who'd done something very similar. He then faced prosecution for murder.

In the absence of any note from her (I wouldn't describe 'Jewels expensive, love you' as a suicide note) I don't think the police or CPS have any option but to try it as murder/manslaughter and see what a jury feel. He may well sound like a decent fellow but equally he could be making that up.

I note that his lawyer has said they'd accept a manslaughter charge. All very sad and I'm not going to comment further as it's ongoing.

harrythebastard said:
Hmm, no suicide note from her then? Waited 2 hours before calling for help did he?
What would a reasonable person in the street think, apart from the option of buying themselves two singles to Zurich?
No mention of his injuries and how he survived 2 hours either, nice try Grandad, get in the van!
That's how I see it, he's trying it on.

Too many documentaries about Pattaya on TV to blame.

The court heard that Cooper told police that on the day his wife had died, 18 January last year, the couple had driven to Bournemouth and Lulworth Cove in Dorset to find a cliff to jump off together. But because the sites were too crowded, they bought two knives with the intention of killing themselves and drove on to the Mountbatten war memorial park in Romsey, where they had lived much of their lives.
Although I can think of a million reasons not to want to jump off a cliff, :omfg: I think there is a flaw in the argument that Lulworth Cove is crowded in January. 8O

Whiskybreath said:
Too difficult an issue to make a credible contribution in this sort of forum. Should be debated in Parliament - in the time the clowns there allocate to laws further restricting our freedom.
NO, we want a sensible debate that will benefit society, and you want to give it to those clowns?

I agree with Whet on this one, in general terms. There is a question in this (specific) case perhaps.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Tug the heart strings all you want, these cases should always be tested in law. The courts generally have shown a fair degree of common sense on cases like these and the book shouldn't be shut simply on the basis of a plausible sob story.

A good friend of mine made his final journey to Switzerland last October.

He made his decision three years previously when he was diagnosed with MND. The worry that he and his wife went through in trying to organise the journey and the possible consequences of the final outcome were awful.

While I dont think i can comment on the specifics of this case,i wholeheartedly support legalised euthanasia for those who wish to die with dignity.

I'm a firm believer in being able to chose how you die.

I live in Holland where thats possible and watched a documentary some years ago about a man here who did just that. It reduced me to tears when he told his wife that it was now time. But he had suffered enough and although it obviously pained him to leave his wife behind, his own suffering was too much.

I hope when I am old, infirm, in pain or otherwise a mong the option is there to ask for a simple injection to bring it to an end. The holier than though crowd get on my tits with their control freakery over others lives.

I think that's the problem with this case. If the press report is correct (and that's a big if) in that she was close to being detained under the Mental Health Act it's going to be hard to say what her capacity to enter into this pact willingly was.

smudge5611 said:
A good friend of mine made his final journey to Switzerland last October.

He made his decision three years previously when he was diagnosed with MND. The worry that he and his wife went through in trying to organise the journey and the possible consequences of the final outcome were awful.

While I dont think i can comment on the specifics of this case,i wholeheartedly support legalised euthanasia for those who wish to die with dignity.
He should be careful. With his condition that sort of stress could kill him.

psychobabble said:
In the absence of any note from her (I wouldn't describe 'Jewels expensive, love you' as a suicide note) I don't think the police or CPS have any option but to try it as murder/manslaughter and see what a jury feel. He may well sound like a decent fellow but equally he could be making that up.

I note that his lawyer has said they'd accept a manslaughter charge. All very sad and I'm not going to comment further as it's ongoing.
Agreed. Aside from the obvious emotional appeal of Mr. Cooper's case, what the cops have at the end is one dead wife and one living husband, and according to this story, no statement from the deceased that absolves him of responsibility. I don't see how they would have any choice.

But there are no winners in this case that I can see.

Now whether Mr. Cooper should still be tried for any crime if it could be proved that both of them wished to die? Certainly a debate that I hope gets sorted before my liver finally craps out or one of my ovaries decides to try and kill me.