old shiny vs new shiny

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Plus it's Lewis Page who has some rather strong, ah... personal views on defence issues shall we say. Now it could very well of happened but I'll be waiting for a slightly better source before I put much faith in it.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Plus it's Lewis Page who has some rather strong, ah... personal views on defence issues shall we say. Now it could very well of happened but I'll be waiting for a slightly better source before I put much faith in it.
I know, I only read the first part then went back to read the second "analysis", talk about a lot of speculation and assumptions.

Most concerning news - not.

Buccaneers always won Red Flag, the US Army team always won the Canadian Army Trophy and nobody ever won the Cambrian Patrol competition by cheating...yada-yada!

The way I read that was, the typhoon pilots training was "at fault" more than the aircraft design. Of course a pilot trained in "dogfighting" is going to have the upper hand in older aircraft against a pilot who hasn't undergone the same training and in fact has a different role in air combat. Wonder what the outcome was at beyond visual range combat?

One tiny point...

According to the offical website for Ex Anatolian Eagle, The PAF has attended the following iterations of Ex AE:

AE04/ 3; AE06/2; AE07/2 and AE08/4

The only one of these the crabs have attended has been AE07/2.

At that AE, the crabs sent... 14 Squadron. Which flies - sorry, flew - the Tornado GR4.

The first Typhoons to attend Ex AE went in 2009.

So the PAF F-16 drivers achieved these impressive WVR kills against Typhoons which weren't there.

Apart from that slight problem with the story, I can't see any BS associated with the tale there at all.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Over on PPRUNE its been comprehensively demolished as a story - about as likely as Lewis Page coming up with something factual for once...

Rampant - a good point, and it'll be interesting to see what emerges. The Ex doesn't kick off until Monday, though.

(As an aside, one of the PAF's F-16 drivers was over here at Shrivenham a few years ago, and expressed the hope that they'd eventually be considered good enough boys to be able to get their hands on Typhoon. He'd somehow blagged a ride in one of the 29 Sqn two seaters and wanted to take it home with him)

T

Tinman74

Most concerning news - not.

Buccaneers always won Red Flag, the US Army team always won the Canadian Army Trophy and nobody ever won the Cambrian Patrol competition by cheating...yada-yada!
only the winners cheat (loosers weep)