old shiny vs new shiny

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grumblegrunt, Jun 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Possible, it's a question of tactics and planning, Tornado F3s regularly downed F-15s in exercises over the years.
  3. Plus it's Lewis Page who has some rather strong, ah... personal views on defence issues shall we say. Now it could very well of happened but I'll be waiting for a slightly better source before I put much faith in it.
  4. rampant

I know, I only read the first part then went back to read the second "analysis", talk about a lot of speculation and assumptions.
  5. Most concerning news - not.

Buccaneers always won Red Flag, the US Army team always won the Canadian Army Trophy and nobody ever won the Cambrian Patrol competition by cheating...yada-yada!
  6. The way I read that was, the typhoon pilots training was "at fault" more than the aircraft design. Of course a pilot trained in "dogfighting" is going to have the upper hand in older aircraft against a pilot who hasn't undergone the same training and in fact has a different role in air combat. Wonder what the outcome was at beyond visual range combat?
  7. One tiny point...

According to the offical website for Ex Anatolian Eagle, The PAF has attended the following iterations of Ex AE:

AE04/ 3; AE06/2; AE07/2 and AE08/4

The only one of these the crabs have attended has been AE07/2.

At that AE, the crabs sent... 14 Squadron. Which flies - sorry, flew - the Tornado GR4.

The first Typhoons to attend Ex AE went in 2009.

So the PAF F-16 drivers achieved these impressive WVR kills against Typhoons which weren't there.

Apart from that slight problem with the story, I can't see any BS associated with the tale there at all.

8. rampant

9. Over on PPRUNE its been comprehensively demolished as a story - about as likely as Lewis Page coming up with something factual for once...
  10. Rampant - a good point, and it'll be interesting to see what emerges. The Ex doesn't kick off until Monday, though.

(As an aside, one of the PAF's F-16 drivers was over here at Shrivenham a few years ago, and expressed the hope that they'd eventually be considered good enough boys to be able to get their hands on Typhoon. He'd somehow blagged a ride in one of the 29 Sqn two seaters and wanted to take it home with him)
  11. only the winners cheat (loosers weep)