Discussion in 'Officers' started by goatbagthedruid, Sep 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone out there got an old military letter writing guide which they can email/ post to me? JSP 101 does not provide enough info on writing proper letters (reporting for duty etc) and the RMAS Blue isn't good enough. I used to have a copy of an Army guide dated mid 80's but forgot to copy it on posting - crow-like!

PM me if there are any positives out there.

2. I'll second an interest in that..
  3. I'll see what I can dig up.

I Have the Honour to be
    Your Obedient Servant

4. Your obedient Servant; note the capitalisation!
  5. I think Mike Golden has the manual on military letter wrting at the moment - he might be worth getting in touch with.
  6. Check your PMs Goatbag.
  7. Any chance of posting it, please. Could be of wider interest.
  8. I thought all the old stuff had been binned.

The new overiding rule for JSP 101 is that you get your message accros. You don't faff about with fonts, sizes, commas and spacings.
  9. I can see what you did there - very clever if I may say so.
  10. Nothing clever about fudge fingers. :D
  11. Tell that to anybody in the Army over the age of 35! Presentation Nazis still get an almighty cock stand on about utter nonsense like this.
  12. ........probably because most people under the age of 35 can't spell, and have absolutely no understanding of grammar and punctuation. This can be very frustrating, and lead to embarrassment, but playing the 'dyslexia' card often works.

PS: Often a direct correlation with the quality of degree of said poor speller.
  13. Tell me about it.

As long as it looks neat and to the letter, it could be complete waffle.
  14. My own favourite letter can be used in almost any situation:

Dear Sir,

Bol locks.

Yours faithfully