Old Royal Navy Flag Help

Alowen

Crow
Hi all. I recently picked up an old Royal Navy flag. It’s huge and panel stitched. It’s a Commodore broad pendant with bronze inglefield clips.
The question I have is, what does the stamp on the hoist refer to please? It reads ‘Commodore 8 BDTH’ ?

Many thanks

Attachments

exspy

LE
The question I have is, what does the stamp on the hoist refer to please? It reads ‘Commodore 8 BDTH’ ?
To me, the 8 looks more like an ampersand or &. "Commodore & BDTH"

Cheers,
Dan.

Hi all. I recently picked up an old Royal Navy flag. It’s huge and panel stitched. It’s a Commodore broad pendant with bronze inglefield clips.

Many thanks
Did a google for you and it came up with BDTH. 'Base Down to Horizontal'. Sorry haven't a clue what it means!

I imagine it's a size 8 Cdre's broad pennant.

Hang on, is it a broad pennant (swallow tail), or just a pennant? If the latter, it's also the number 8 in the international code of signals.

Many thanks
How about posting a picture of the whole thing.

Alowen

Crow
Yup, googled it a plenty. Couldn’t get an answer. It’s a swallow tail pennant. I’ll get a full pic tomorrow when no family here.

Compare with:

Size 6 or size 4? Maybe the NSN (8345-99-571-5796) answers the question.

SecurityGeek

Old-Salt
Ex bunting tosser here .
+ 1 for Alfred the Greats explanation.
8 Breadth (size 8 ) Commodores Pennant
From memory CV or LPD size
Size 4 or 6 for FF/ DD

Ex bunting tosser here .
+ 1 for Alfred the Greats explanation.
8 Breadth (size 8 ) Commodores Pennant
From memory CV or LPD size
Size 4 or 6 for FF/ DD
An excellent concise answer.

Now, any chance of a less concise answer for the benefit of those of us who communicate using words?

Curriculum vitae, something, fast forward and direct debit.

CV - aircraft carrier
LPD - amphibious ship
FF - Frigate
DD - Destroyers

The former two are nearly always bigger than the latter two, and thus hoist flags (of all types) larger than the latter two.

Bunting Tosser - Naval nickname for the old Yeoman Branch who conducted visual signalling via lights and flags.

CV - aircraft carrier
LPD - amphibious ship
FF - Frigate
DD - Destroyers

The former two are nearly always bigger than the latter two, and thus hoist flags (of all types) larger than the latter two.

Bunting Tosser - Naval nickname for the old Yeoman Branch who conducted visual signalling via lights and flags.
Thanks Alfred. Makes sense now (other than why simpler abbreviations haven't been used).

Latest Threads