Old recruitment poster

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
"Join the Professionals and be a Soldier of the Seventies!"

Does anyone remember the above poster? More to the point does any one know where I could access an image of the same? Thanks.

Hi
I have a copy of the poster & the booklet, as i was looking at joining up as a Juniorbleeder in 1980. So from about 1976 i was always asking my older brother (he was in then) for anythin to do with the Army. In the end i did not join up until 1985. But i still have a file i made up with poster & booklets, leaflets from the 70s & 80s. I still have my card for the 'Guaranteed Vacancy Scheme' PM Us

There were a number of 'Join The Professionals' recruiting posters in the early 1970s. The Scottish variation showed a platoon in attack.
there was another edition with the theme 'Join The Men Who Joined The Jocks.'

I remember one that I think showed a line of squaddies which included a Guardsman in full dress, a RE Frogman, a Para and infantrymen in Artic and Jungle Green clothing and I think a radio operator with an A41 in the foreground - was that the one?

I managed to pick up two old Army recruiting brochures off evilbay - one is dated 1969 - 'This is the Army' and the other 1976 - 'Join the Professionals' - looking through them it shows we had a very different Army then.

Anyone remember the small booklet 'Northern Ireland - What is it like for Soldiers?'

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
76mill said:
Anyone know where the chieftain in the forest recruiting ad could be found ?
Our Tiffy (B Sqn 15/19H, Tidworth, 76 - 77) claimed to have been the REME rep at that shoot to ensure the Chieftain didn't break down. ISTR he said he had been with 1RTR who, IIRC, had preceeded us through Tidworth.

HTH

BayonetPinCushion said:
Tin helmets, 58 webbing, putees and lined combats - not to mention GS rat packs with tins of God-knows-what that would never be allowed nowadays - good times!
The Babies Heads were "simply devine" I'll have you know..... :D

"Reckon you can handle it when the going gets dangerous.
Reckon you can handle this, and this.
If you do then should be joining us"
THE PROFESSIONALS
All to background flm of NI Patrols, The Jungle, The arctic.
Good stuff back then.
TB 8)

Was the Chieftain ad the one where someone was making breakfast in a mess tin and gets the order to "mount up" and they disappear in about 3 seconds.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The advert that involved a Chieftain rolling into a German farmyard ... okay coughing and wheezing ... where the crewman goes off and wombles some eggs off the farmer and they all sit and eat al fresco in the dark. Voiceover man informs us he gets all this excitement AND forty Pounds a week (for the record I got £25 after tax, insurance, food and accommodation) cos he's a Professional. "This is the Sarge. He commands the tank. He's a Professional too."

Billy Connolly's version was far better. His tag line was "You can thousands and thousands of Smarties for forty Pounds a week."

About 1977 ISTR there was a recruiting poster similar to the Coke ad which went something like "quickthinkingfastmovingcombatsoldieringARMY"
Anybody else remember that one?

Latest Threads