Old recruitment poster

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RP578, Dec 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

"Join the Professionals and be a Soldier of the Seventies!"

Does anyone remember the above poster? More to the point does any one know where I could access an image of the same? Thanks.
  2. The post I remember said, "Join the Professionals for Action, Travel, and Adventure"

Have to confess they kept their side of the bargain.
  3. Hi
    I have a copy of the poster & the booklet, as i was looking at joining up as a Juniorbleeder in 1980. So from about 1976 i was always asking my older brother (he was in then) for anythin to do with the Army. In the end i did not join up until 1985. But i still have a file i made up with poster & booklets, leaflets from the 70s & 80s. I still have my card for the 'Guaranteed Vacancy Scheme' PM Us
  4. There were a number of 'Join The Professionals' recruiting posters in the early 1970s. The Scottish variation showed a platoon in attack.
    there was another edition with the theme 'Join The Men Who Joined The Jocks.'
  5. Anyone know where the chieftain in the forest recruiting ad could be found ?
  6. I remember one that I think showed a line of squaddies which included a Guardsman in full dress, a RE Frogman, a Para and infantrymen in Artic and Jungle Green clothing and I think a radio operator with an A41 in the foreground - was that the one?

I managed to pick up two old Army recruiting brochures off evilbay - one is dated 1969 - 'This is the Army' and the other 1976 - 'Join the Professionals' - looking through them it shows we had a very different Army then.

Anyone remember the small booklet 'Northern Ireland - What is it like for Soldiers?'
  7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Our Tiffy (B Sqn 15/19H, Tidworth, 76 - 77) claimed to have been the REME rep at that shoot to ensure the Chieftain didn't break down. ISTR he said he had been with 1RTR who, IIRC, had preceeded us through Tidworth.

8. http://www.coi.gov.uk/aboutcoi.php?page=89

If anyone has any scans of any other posters I wouldn't mind a look at them
  9. Tin helmets, 58 webbing, putees and lined combats - not to mention GS rat packs with tins of God-knows-what that would never be allowed nowadays - good times!

Attached Files:

10. Well, I suppose that's what a forest would look like after a regiment of Chieftains had been driven through it.
  11. and notice how slim the squaddies were back then
  12. The Babies Heads were "simply devine" I'll have you know..... :D
  13. The walts even have recruiting posters FFS!!
  14. It's the same blokes. (They're just LE Majors now...)