Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Radios

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My sister in law has been going through some junk at her family’s house in Normandy.

In one of the sheds they’ve found a big stash of old radios and bits of radios.

They appear to be military but other than that they have no idea about them or what the story is.

Someone has obviously collected them and put them there for a reason? Could they be WW2 radios? We’re obviously hoping we’ve stumbled across a forgotten hoard of Nazi enigma machines or something.

Apologies for the poor pics, this is all I have at the moment. Currently awaiting some close ups.

Can anyone make anything out from these pics? Are they worth anything? Worth keeping? Donate to a museum?

I’d appreciate your thoughts.

F2F53F80-B03D-4935-AA29-0CF2A5C57DCF.jpeg
85147DD4-72B4-451A-A9D5-886DD235F139.jpeg

I am not an ex-Scaley and I know nothing about radios other than CB, but contact Royal Signals at Blandford Forum (speeling crap), RAF Padbrat will give me hard times.

Or Bletchley Park.

Over to you!!!

Last edited:

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
No idea whether they are mil or not from these photos. However, there are several very reputable museums in Normandy (The Pegasus Museum and Caen Memorial to name but two) and many other local and ad-hoc affairs. I suggest taking photos and a few bits to one of them for their opinion. In the worse case, they will probably know where to find someone who does know.

Out of interest, roughly where are they in Normandy? I am heading up to the Orbec/Lisieux area tomorrow.

Ned.

I am not an ex-Scaley and I nothing about radios other than CB, but contact Royal Signals at Blandford Forum (speeling crap), RAF Padbrat will give me hard times.

Or Bletchley Park.

Over to you!!!

PS; The shelving looks like it about to collapse. Sell it to the antique collector on the TV (Drew something or other), WW2 era shelving used by the Resistance etc etc, You will be quids (or Franc's) in.

Usual commision to be paid to my Offshore Bank Account.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
I am not an ex-Scaley and I nothing about radios other than CB, but contact Royal Signals at Blandford Forum (speeling crap), RAF Padbrat will give me hard times.

Or Bletchley Park.

Over to you!!!
Good point. The French Scaleys are just a step away in Rennes. There is a R Signals LO there.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cheers for the replies. I’ll definitely direct them towards the Caen Memorial and Pegusus museum to see if they can make heads or tails of any of it.

Put a mug of tea and deep space nine dvd in the pic and you’ll have the scalies in a wanking frenzy.

Wounds my heart with...

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Radio Hams are always on the lookout for radio parts, in particular old radio valves. Because of the nature of my business, they sometimes ask me for them. I mostly answer them "Do what the boys did in the 'Stalags' make them out of old Bean cans!'

Unless there's some markings suggesting they're militaria, I'd think it's more likely someone's collection of 'repairable' radios and amplifiers from the '50s and the collector probably died before 'they got around to it' and tried fixing them. They've probably been cannibalised for any useful parts.

It looks like a 1950s version of my desk, though mine has bits of dismantled PCs and laptops that the lockdown has forced me to get around to sorting out. My main thoughts whilst doing it are along the lines of 'What possessed me to keep this crap for so long?'

I'd just google for any maker's names or model numbers to see if it a priceless hoard of militaria. The glass valves are usually worth a bit, they're fragile, don't last and generally aren't now made; see E-bay. They may also be the reason why the military (if any involved) abandoned them.

Last edited:

Latest Threads