Old photos of army huts in Marchington, Staffs?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by FirmButton, Feb 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi chaps,

i am looking for some old pics of the army huts originally erected in the 1940s in Marchington for use as an officers mess for the yanks. Then ended up used after the war as a temporary home for St Peter's school which was damaged by the Fauld explosion.

I haven't the first clue as to where I could find such pictures, so any help is greatfuly appreciated!

2. Try, Staffordshire Past Track, lots of historic photos.

3. Try the URBEX sites such as 28 Days Later. For your info Marchington was a Central Vehicle Depot. I believe that the Green Goddesses were stored there up until their disposal.
  4. I remember the Staffordshire evening Sentinel doing an article on Marchington quiet a few years ago with some old pics.
  5. WoW! thanks for that! I need more pics though, but will post on that site you linked to.

Many thanks!

6. That's right about the Green Goddesses, I think they were kept on the new industrial estate. Loads of other old storage sites in the area, with rail connections off the Derby-Stoke line. One became a landfill, another is now a prison (Dovegate?).
  7. Yes, We went up there to collect the Green Godesses when the fireman got a bit antsie in 1975 or 76. We convoyed them to Ludgershall and Ashchurch where they were prepared before actual deployment.
  8. Hi,in response to your request for photos of Marchington camp,Google
    Britain from above,sign in and you can use their zoom facility.There are
    three or four great photos from 1947 and a bit of history.
    hope this helps,cheers Rick
  9. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

local archive , county archives and possibly the borough engineers department. has worked for me in the past .