Old pattern assault vest

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by afcass, Aug 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 72 pattern nylon? never really entered service?

2. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

1972 Pattern vest, although what you have pictured is a shoddy copy that was sold (if not made) by Silverman's.

It was worn almost exclusively by the SAS in the Dhofar and Gulf War I campaigns. (Probably worn in the Falklands as well, but I've never seen any pics).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Still a few knocking about in ACF stores along with the 72 MkII pattern webbing.(72 pattern webbing? - Military Photos Images Pictures Discussion)

AFAIK, when binned by the army, they were gifted to the ACF. Notorious for falling apart under even the lightest of loads unless you tied off or taped the nylon straps.

I beleive they have some value as collectors curios these days. Pretty useless otherwise

4. Butyl laminate 72 patt I think- based on the WW2 Commando assault vest??
    There were a few bits of kit made of this material- resi pouch, maybe a large pack too
    Laurence Corner in London sold it as surplus in the early 80s

Was the GS bergan also made of similar material?

5. My mate had a set of 72 pattern webbing. It was held together by straps, rather than mesh. He cut it up for the ammo pouches, and I got the bumbag off it, fitted quick release straps and used it in place of kidney pouches on my 58 webbing. This stuff isn't 72 pattern, although the front fastenings are similar. There are no markings on it, so I don't know if it was issue or not.

6. IIRC 72 patt Mk1 was 58 pattern in nylon, not cotton canvas web. It wasnt butyl laminated.

Lovely stuff, very hard wearing but it soaked up nearly as much water as the 58.

Worth a lot to collectors today.

7. It was definately used in the Falklands as the set worn by SAS Capt Hamilton MC was on display in the small but fascinating museum at Port Howard on West Falkland. There is a wikipedia article detailing his actions there.

8. So is this 72 Pattern Mark 3?

9. _Chimurenga_

No, it's just a civilian copy.

10. I thought it was 66 patt. Looks genuine to me. Later versions went to the Spanish (PLCE) fastenings for the pouches and then a version was done in DPM nylon IIRC.

There's also a photo of Tony Jeapes wearing one in his book on the Oman War.

The version after was the one in white mesh with a white small pack and detachable sleeping mat cover on the back and green pouches in several configurations on the chest.

I think........... memory getting a little , nope, it's gone.

D_B

11. _Chimurenga_

This ? Totally unrelated trials item.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Not just a trials item. They made hundeds of them and they saw service in the Falklands and Northern Flank. There's loads of them all well used on the surplus Market at the moment.

13. Slightly off subject, but years ago I flicked through a book in the library on webbing, it mentioned that when the 1908(date?) pattern was due for replacement at least one combat type vest was trialled, but rejected as not smart enough, hence '37' pattern. Certainly our CCF CO who was an ex Para Arnhem MM etc wore a webbing combat vest with 'For training purposes only' stencilled over it.

14. _Chimurenga_

I believe there is a photo of such a thing in Brian L. Davis' book on British Army Insignia & Uniforms of WWII. At the moment, I'm not at home, so I cannot consult my own copy to verify.