Old P Coy tabbing routes

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Zarathustra, Dec 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A bit of a random question for the old and bold of the maroon beret fraternity.

As I'm working over Christmas and most likely New Year I want to get some quality training in while everyone else is getting their extra leave.

To that end I want to get out and get the miles in and am after either maps of the old P Coy routes on Aldershot training area, or a description of the routes so I can mark them out on Google Earth.

I will see if our PTIs have a set of pre-planned routes but on the off chance they just plan them the day before a tab I'd like to have a few of my own. I could go out and just make a route up as I go but I find tabbing (on my own) easier if I have a route with a set distance so I can aim on reaching certain landmarks in a set time rather than constantly checking my Garmin to see how far I've done, and I'm too lazy to work my own out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and feel free to make as many hat jokes as you like.

2. CB, as I understand it, a lot of the old routes now have houses on them.... :(

3. Has Aldershot training area changed that much?

4. Rubbish!

5. No, it's the same as it's always been. Except for Long Valley which has a few more pine tree's than in the 60's.

6. I sit corrected then :)

7. You can still do the route as there is the 'airborne 10' every winter where individuals can run the route for charity....Long Valley, Sandy, Hungry Hill etc, etc.

Did it in aformer life but the technical details have passed me by. You may try a purely airborne website.

It still can be done but I guess it is less chewed up now!

8. Rather than being mapped I think the routes just evolved and were inherited by succesive PTIs.

9. The routes did vary from OC to OC.

Start at Browning Bks.... head for Malta Bks, under the road bridge.

Straight down the Rd to Eelmoor Bridge, Cross the Fleet rd & head for Miles Hill, straight ahead Long Valley with a couple of Airborne Circles half way down on the right. Up & down Phelan's Fancy.

Then head south on Long Valley to Jubilee Firs, west to Bourley lakes & Up the rear of Beacon Hill by the track running alongside the Farnham/Fleet rd.

Head East at the top past the Gravelly Lake & onto Flagstaff (Caesars Camp) two benches there!

Head South to the Horse Pond then south east to Hungry Hill, up down up dow up down & onto Long Bottom.

Up the Concrete Rd & cross the Bourley Rd going North, Through the Bats Hogsty & along to the rear of Rushmoor Arena & back to Browning.

Piece of Piss!

10. Cheers

11. Okay I've done routes round Aldershot many a time.

What I'd like if any one can help is the original 10 miler route round Hardwick Hall.

Did it once may years ago and would like to try it again.

12. For those interested in the routes I know the 'Paras 10' is being run in the shot next year so they will certainly have some answers for you.

13. Should you want a Guide. I can get a retired P Coy Sergeant Major to take you around.

1. You can go for a slow tab with one of them, & do it in 1.40, or

2. Run the whole course with a 69 year old one, who will not wait for you, if you can't keep up with him!

Option one would probably be better for you! Easier.

14. You've started early.

15. Although it will take in the general area, it's not the same thing.

The Paras 10 is really just a fun run for most competitors.

There are no competitors on P Coy, they're all potential candidates!