old mess antiquities????

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by syndrome, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anybody out there know what happened to the old JLRE mess silver/presentations??? in the early 80s my father presented 'on loan" a scale model of his boat (BOLEH) to one of the messes at dover, which has now disappeared of the face the earth since the bleeders were disbanded!!! now i know it must be somewhere :? i am very keen to trace it down and get it back as my father has since recently died!! short of writing a formal letter direct to the CRE i dont know what to do, so if anyone knows of its whereabouts i would very much appreciate a pm bak, cheers chaps simon angel :?

2. Try RHQ RE at Brompton Barracks. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

3. Corps museum?????

4. When a mess is closed there is something in regulations saying that every reasonable effort must be made to contact those who presented items to the mess and ask them if they want whatever it was back. Presumably this was not done in this case (in the case of a considerable passage of time and the donor having moved addresses several times this may be very difficult).

I assume that if he was not contacted at the time (and therefore did not say that he did not want the piece back) that you would now be entitled to the piece back (however am not 100% sure - can't remeber all the regs off the top of my head).

There is likely to be somebody in RE HQ who is responsible for the corps property (retd SO2 at a guess) who will be well placed to initiate a search I would think - try calling a secretary or PA whop works in the building as they are likely to know who the guy responsible or at least give you a decent steer.

5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Contact the Mess Sec of the RE Officers Mess at Brompton if it was presented to the Officers Mess at JLRE. It would b e useful if you had a good description of the object (or even a picture).

As stated above attempts are made when units disband to return property, but Dover went some time ago now.

Unclaimed pieces are then held at Brompton (there is a room full of the stuff), and loaned out to other units if they are suitably attractive. But over the years if things become damaged etc they may be disposed of.