Old Kit

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by novembercharlie, Aug 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just aquired a load of old 1960 pattern combat jackets and in amongst them is an olive green parka with a furry type of non detachable lining. It has no hood or collar but has button holes around the neck for a detachable hood (not present). Can any of you old sweats tell me anything about it, what year it was introduced etc. There are no labels in it apart from a green one on the neck but the writing is illegible. I am assuming it is an old British Army issue because it was in with the jackets.
  2. All I know is that my dad wore one, which I now own. It's packed in an old army issue suitcase.

I presume it has a round 'tail' with a flap that comes up beteen your legs and buttons to the front of the jacket?

When I was a mod at school in the 80s, I wore it in all weathers - even sweltering heat :)
  3. Remember wearing one in Berlin on Spandau Prison Guard in 1979, it was -24 and about as much good as tits on a nun. They seemed well worn then. So proberly 1960's issue.
  4. I remember having an OG parka C/W furry hood lining issued in BAOR in the mid 80s. They were not an 1157 item but issued from the SQN stores. It was later exchanged for a DPM one (without fur) which had a quilted liner. Not unlike the quilted jacket & strides that were issued on 1157 (mayo suit ? or something). I once also remember the whole troop being marched to an exersise church parade in thier OG parkas & breaking out in a chorus of "We are the mods, we are the mods, we are,we are , we are the mods".

5. Korea issue, no doubt about it.

6. Thanks for your posts lads.
  7. Thats the one, exactly. I found another on in amongst all the stuff, it has a label which says "Parka, Middle, Without Hood".
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Introduced about 1953. The first type had the hood sewn on and pockets only on the lower section introduced just prior to Korea kicking off.

If you want a hood for it I have a selection of sizes. :)
  9. Chinese Fighting Suits?
  10. Awsome piece of kit, sadly replaced by the DPM parka that was nowhere near as good. Had several over my time and always remember trying to keep them when posted with no luck.
    Green fur(undoubtedly fake) lining with detachable hood, although i only ever had a hood once. Hard wearing and almost indestructable. Mine were always oily and a constant source of fun between myself and the SSM WHICH HE NORMALLY WON!!
    Replaced in the mid 80's dependant on what type of unit you were with.
  11. Isued to APC drivers in Ireland early 70s, could hold ther own weight in water,and the wire in the hood could take your eye out :D
    Happy days
    Keep on trucking 8)
  12. Hi,
    Do you still have any of the hoods for the old green "Parka, Middle" ? I have just acquired one and need a hood for it.
    Jon Clark