Old kit still in use

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by General Melchett, Jan 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

This may have been posted before but anyway.

Drew a quantity of P'58 water bottles from the QM the other day for NBC training.

The oldest dated bottle was 1967. It also seemed to made better then some of the 2001 dated items.

So any advance on that?

2. Did they still have the mug attached - now thats what you call a cup of tea

3. My issue clasp knife is still going strong and its a 1957...........

4. I have a 1965 dated Patt 58 water bottle which is green, Oh my God I have become an anorak! :oops:

5. We've had water bottles and clasp knives, what about mess tins ?

6. I am still using a 1945 metal soap tin complete with crows foot!

7. How about the bayonet scabbard on the side of the ammo pouch - a WALTs wet dream

8. my old '67 is still ok apart from a broken cap retainer. i also had a new '01 issue bottle until it the cap cracked on its 2nd exercise! guess having old kit does pay off...

9. General Melchett.

SK :D

10. We received a shiny AF436 that had just left ABRO. Looked brand new. The vehicle documents said "1960". 45 years serivce. Should have been given a bar to its LS&GC by now!

11. Ummm....binos and prismatics! All of them!

12. My RAO - I think the box he came in was dated 1968(BC!)

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

FV 432, older than Dui-Lai!

14. msr

msr LE

Someone in Basra had dumped one in the bin, so I fished it out and found that it was dated 1964. It had the new top but is otherwise fine.

On the same note, the amount of kit which was being dumped at the end of the tour was truly staggering.

msr