old Hip Injury

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Dec 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Bit of background to start with:

    I was medically discharged in 2001 after a training accident at RMAS where I damaged my right Hip. I was given a bit of physio at RMAS and then agreed to a discharge rather than the suggested year on the Y-List with no guarentee of recovery. I remember very little of the medical explaination apart from - ligament damage being the main issue.

    Current situation:

    Since then I've had general pain in my hip but recently it's been getting worse. I went to Docs today and was told it's my "inguinal ligament" that is playing up (damaged/scar tissue/strained??) and given the 'take 2 brufen and come back if it still hurts' response.

    So question to you fitness/injury/medical gurus:

    Do I accept this, and just sit back and relax with a nice brufen and a glass of beer till it stops hurting.

    Or do I decide sod this I've got BUPA cover I'm going to push for a specialist opinion.

    Basically is there anything they can do for this sort of injury? or do I just accept that's it and just stop playing sport/exercise when it hurts?

  2. elovabloke

    elovabloke LE Moderator

    Are you in possesion of a medical (Army War) pension, if your injury is getting worse you may be able to up your pension?

    If you are, you should be entitled (ha ha) to priority treatment with the NHS.

    Your doc is the expert - not one of us on here giving you internet advice.
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    I do have a medical (war) pension, but not fussed about getting that upgraded, the company pays for BUPA so might as well use that.

    I was just wondering if anyone had experience of a similar injury and what they did about it. To be honest I'm not hugely impressed with our GP (not based on this experience alone) and am probably going to go back anyway to discuss it with the other GP in the surgery. I was just after a bit of info from anyone who might have some to give, I like to get as much data from lots of sources before making a decision.

  4. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator


    There are treatments (surgical and otherwise) which can be effective for your type of injury, but no-one on here is going to be able to answer your questions. Even if there is a sports injury/ortho specialist on here, they will not be able to do much without a thorough investigation.

    One key point is that your average GP will not have the specialist knowledge required to deal with this. Also, not every private clinic will be the best possible place to deal with this, although they will all be best placed to take your money.

    You need to do some research and identify the centres of excellence for this type of injury, and then get it properly evaluated. If you want to PM me your location (city or rough area will do, I won't be sending a Christmas card) , I will try and find out the specialist clinic nearest to you which should be up to speed on this type of injury.