Old Guards documentary.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Irish_Gunner, May 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. could have been made in the 1980's too

didnt change til the mid 90's when it became ATR Pirbright :(
  2. Its the officers that amuse me. The one for instance to says that the men quite enjoy waiting at his coctail parties. It's like people saying that horses enjoy racing etc. He sounded that he was about as likley to ask the horse as he was the trooper. Or the Foot Gurads subaltern who seemed to be in the army in order to be filmed and photographed!
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The WG Sarn't Major was there when I went through in 67.
    Same with the OC K Company.

Guards 2 reminded me of the delights of drilling at Chelsea Barracks with the civvies faces pushed through the railings. :D

In Guards 4 the Captain interpreting was later my Brigade commander and on retirement ran the Union Jack Club, retiring from that last year.
  4. At least he seemed like he had some kinda reason - puts him several points up on the Brigade Squad tw@ts I went through Sandhurst with in 1974.
  5. Just had another look at this today.Does anyone know the background to this. Who directed it,what channel showed it. It strikes me now on second viewing that there may have been some anti-elitism going on with it. The officers are almost invariable shown as snobish idiots living in the 19th century. Surely they had more interesting things to say than weather they wore headdress in the mess and looked for litter on the square while orderlay officer. I met and had a long chat with the officer who commanded the trooping of the colour that year. He had I think just finished as CO I Irish Guards at the time. He didnt come across at all like that. He seemed very sharp and clued in even in his early eighties.
  6. Try this: Guards Officers come in 2 varieties: Utterly excellent, and those in bold above.

Young ones like those in bold (in my time - 1974 to 2003) seemed to outnumber the others by about 4 to 1 (possibly more), because (let's face it) if you had any sense of adventure, you wouldn't sign up for a short service commission just to spend 3 yrs of yr life like a tart, doing drill, polo and cocktail parties: but many did exactly that.

If you can find it, Power and Prestige in the British Army by Von Zugbach kind of explains how it works/worked.
  7. I found it quite interesting. Enjoyed the part at the end covering the farewell of the GSM, WO1 George Stone of the Irish Guards. Googled him and found more here:

Also the part on the Welsh Guards in Aden- note the minimal amount of kit they carried compared to today! And the officer who spoke Arabic- how many infantry officers today can speak even basic Pushtu?

Stonker, from what I've read on this forum the social background of Guards officers today would seem to be far more varied than 20 or 30 years ago. I'm sure though you do still get the stereotypical types. The Guards and Household Cavalry have certainly seen their share of fighting in the past few years...
  8. Excellent, I really enjoyed the first part with Square abshing.
    Yes even we REEMs did that, very good find watch all tyhe parts and then a few others.
    All the Guard Officer I served with where Gentlemen, bit of a change from my own ****'s and I never Knew a Bad Foot Guards RSM.
  9. "Adjutants Memorandum" those who know. what fun.
    Formed in 1660 five oclock to others.
  10. True enough - thanks to the lot who left No 10 last night - but back in '82, the gentlemen of the WG were more than a lttle shocked to go straight from square-bashing and cocktails in London, to Bluff Cove (Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect £300) . . . .
  11. Nasty Stonker.
    Memory says the a Battalion of Green Jackets who had done run up training where removed so the WG could go represent the Guards Division.
    Marine officer Southgate ? had big row over WG remaining on board landing ships with WG officers in Bluff Cove.

12. do you mean ewen southby tailyour ? i think he was the marine officer, and i think the scots guards did well at tumbledown , wouldnt you agree ?
  13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

And further to my post above. The Captain interpreter shown in guards4 was the CO of WG in FI.
  14. Correct on pt 1. Pt 2 = Maj Ewan Southby-Tailyour, task force expert on amphib warfare, was several times overruled by CO 1 WG when he advised a rapid and early debarkation. Too sad for words. Friends of mine helped to rescue the survivors.