Old Grey Whistle Test Live: For one night only: Friday 23 Feb on BBC4

Last broadcast 30 years ago, so as an anniversary treat, the legend who is Whispering Bob is back for a one off three hour ‘special’ this Friday coming.
Live artists in the studio include Ian Anderson, Joan Armatrading and Peter Frampton.
Should be worth tuning in for! :clap:

Thanks for the heads up, bought the Best Of a few years ago.

OGWT loved it , it was on when my oldest was born , 11 May 1976... what a selection of talent The Who,Little Feat,recording by Jimi Hendrix, wifes waters then broke , and she was taken in to have a Ceaserian boy arrived about 1 am. , by the time I got back to the waiting room it was finished
20 odd years until I actually saw the end of the program

64th Birthday on 23. Party arranged but after recording will continue the motion on 24 with some slivo and pivo. Oh Happy Days

Great! Just set it to record. My box gave me the option to series record, so it must be thinking it's more than a one-off for some reason.
BBC 4 will repeat it a number or times

I fondly remember the OGWT. First time I heard Bat Out of Hell. Round the same time when people thought Alice Cooper was a woman. I heard that the first time he was on the show, the BBC stocked his dressing room with some complementary, ahem, lady products.

Always liked Bob Harris, but can remember being surprised at him having a sad on with the New York Dolls, when they were on the show in 1974?...Described their lead singer David Johansen as a poor mans Mick Jagger, because he felt he was copying Jaggers style of performance?

Bumping this in case anyone who may be interested missed the thread first time around!
The blurb says in addition to live music in the studio from artists including Ian Anderson, Richard Thompson and Peter Frampton, there will be classic archive clips from the past. They have an embarrassment of riches to choose from! :smile:

Always liked Bob Harris, but can remember being surprised at him having a sad on with the New York Dolls, when they were on the show in 1974?...Described their lead singer David Johansen as a poor mans Mick Jagger, because he felt he was copying Jaggers style of performance?
Whispering Bob might have had a point.

Mick Jagger
1003DDEE-444A-4BFE-84E0-40A9542BC9BC.jpeg

David Johansen
EC317069-2BC1-4C7F-B11D-68D07E284BE9.jpeg

Bumping this in case anyone who may be interested missed the thread first time around!
The blurb says in addition to live music in the studio from artists including Ian Anderson, Richard Thompson and Peter Frampton, there will be classic archive clips from the past. They have an embarrassment of riches to choose from! :smile:
I had a Frampton Comes Alive poster somewhere wrapped in a tube, must date back to the mid 1970s. Probably disintegrated as I can't find it. The live OGWT specials were often good and I'd like to see some London Marquee Club programmes. Richard Thompson is currently writing his memoirs, which should be interesting, you'll find the documentary 'Solitary Life' on Youtube.

Also just remembered buying Melody Maker and the NME.

Whispering Bob might have had a point.

Mick Jagger
View attachment 323336

David Johansen
View attachment 323337

He may indeed have had a point Ted? But it's fair to say Johansen couldn't help having a fairly striking resemblence to Jagger. And he also had a similarly spasmodic stage routine while performing.

However, musically there were no similarities, as the Dolls were a glam/proto punk outfit, so Bob Harris couldn't really have objected on those grounds. Which leads me to the conclusion, that given their disruptive reputation, the Dolls may have done something to annoy him during recording at the Beeb?

Last edited:
Were they doing Mother of Pearl with Eno playing a synth with a joy stick.

I think Eno had already left Roxy after "For Your Pleasure" was released. His replacement was Eddie Jobson, who was Keyboards fo the next album "Stranded", from which "Mother of Pearl" came from, so it must have been him.

I think Eno had already left Roxy after "For Your Pleasure" was released. His replacement was Eddie Jobson, who was Keyboards fo the next album "Stranded", from which "Mother of Pearl" came from, so it must have been him.
Jobson played a stormer on Air Cut, with Curved Air, which most probably secured him the Roxy gig. He was only 19 when he played on Air Cut - his playing on the track Metamorphosis is sublime.