Old Freelander For Winter. Any Good??

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by RiflemanTom, Dec 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Now that the snow's finally arrived, I find myself yet again without a car to use, as my Bimmer is completely useless in this weather. Run flat low profiles & snow & Ice equals 0 traction & a bent car, so I've been looking on Autotrader for a 4x4. I've only got about £1,500 - £2k to spend on it though as it'll end up sitting in the garage for the other 9 months of the year.

Anyway, I've been looking at what I can get, and I quite fancy a Freelander. Seems like a good car, and for the money I want to spend I seem to be able to get a 1998 - 2002 1.8 with service history, and around 50 - 90k on the clock.

However, I know shit all about motors. So do any of you mechanical types know if this is a good idea, or would I be wasting my dosh?
  2. These reviews are worth reading.
  3. Ours has served us well so far, up in't North and getting plenty of snow! Purely for the snow though, I'd say there was better out there for the same price though.
  4. Actually even a BMW would work I bet if you fitted it with 2 pairs of proper M+S Winter tires (Continental TS 830 or Michelin Alpine Series usually come top in tests). Certainly cheaper than buying another ride which you will also have to insure, maintain and equip with said M+S tires, SUV 'all weather' Tires are not recommended for regular use on snow, breaking being the most prominent of problems wit curb weight of SUV's. If you need to get up steep inclines where even winter tires struggle, 60£ will buy you a pair of self tightening, self adjusting snow chains. On and off in under a minute with a bit of practicing.
  5. For their price, a second hand Freelander is not too bad value for money and handle okay in snow etc with good tyres fitted. Problem is that you will then have two cars to tax, two to insure etc. Take the advice above, winter prepare your current car, much cheaper and in most circumstances, just as good
  6. Buy an audi quattro next time! And winter tyres.
  7. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Would have been a lot bloody easier wouldnt it.
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If you are after a purely utilitarian vehicle for the snow, why not get an old Hilux or similar? When the summer kicks back in you can use it for carting crap around, trips to the dump etc.
  9. Freelander's are an utter pile of shite, at low end budget you will end up with somebody else's problem car.
    If you want a cheap 4x4 thats reasonably capable try a Jeep Grand Cherokee, pants on fuel consumption but will do the business. Make sure its got reasonable tyres on and it will do the business in comfort. If you get one with a factory tow pack you even get a limited slip diff on the back.
    Built in Austria by Steyr, I had one before the current TD5 Discovery and the Jeep would go pretty much anywhere the TD5 will
  10. Hilux's aren't very good in snow unless you put as dumpy bag of sand in the back!
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I would've thought they'd be the nuts? 4x4, indestructible and lightweight, good combo for snow.
  12. Agree freelanders are just useful for scrap.
  13. To light on the back end un-laden makes them very tail-happy in snow.
    Plus they are the most uncomfortable 4x4 on the planet. Vastly over-rated and long trading on the good name of the Land Cruiser
  14. Tyres are the most important thing when it comes to traction in wet/snowy conditions - even a 4wd like a freelander is no good unless it's properly shod. I'm with Viceroy, get a set of new wheels and (higher profile) tyres for winter use. If you get new rims you can then swap them whenever you see fit. The other point is to watch how you drive - in snow, a knobbly set of tyres will get you moving, but bear in mind you will still have less grip when it comes to cornering and stopping.
  15. well Ive just seen an 03 plate freelander in the dyke at the side of a small rural road..