Old English

Which excerpt did you find easiest to understand?

• Total voters
Have a quick squint at this.

Do any of you lot (who speak Bosch) find it easier to understand the Old English excerpt, than to understand those from Chaucer, Shakespear, or The King James Bible?

There was also a couple of short bits where the narrator mentioned words which are no longer in use. Having had a far bit of exposure to regional dialects, I've come across a far few of them.

Thoughts?

Edit: Apologies for sticking it in The Science Forum, but I couldn't find the Old English one......

Last edited:
Have a quick squint at this.

Do any of you lot (who speak Bosch) find it easier to understand the Old English excerpt, than to understand those from Chaucer, Shakespear, or The King James Bible?

There was also a couple of short bits where the narrator mentioned words which are no longer in use. Having had a far bit of exposure to regional dialects, I've probably come across a far few of them.

Thoughts?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Old English is utterly, utterly alien and people don't tend to appreciate just how Normanised the language became post-conquest.

See this from Beowulf:

Read David Crystal and his Encyclopaedia of the English Language - required reading at University, and you won't have much trouble understanding any of them. Just saying like, y Cumbra sceap tupper, ay,T. ;)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Old English is utterly, utterly alien and people don't tend to appreciate just how Normanised the language became post-conquest.

See this from Beowulf:

Bloody French bred Vikings coming over here with their strange ways and changing our language! Wouldn't have happened if Alfred was still King!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

See this from Beowulf:

Even old English had different dialects in the same country! Most of the old english we see today came from the West Saxons in the southwest of England. There was also the Mercian dialect, Jute dialect, and the Northumbrian dialect. Way too confusing!

Bloody French bred Vikings coming over here with their strange ways and changing our language! Wouldn't have happened if Alfred was still King!

However, Alfred was...?

Even old English had different dialects in the same country! Most of the old english we see today came from the West Saxons in the southwest of England. There was also the Mercian dialect, Jute dialect, and the Northumbrian dialect. Way too confusing!
Isn't that "Whay Aye so confusing,like"?

Darling, get with the programme my dear, where was Alfred from?

I understand your reply, yesterday @History_Man said he understood that "Court of Justice" obviously meant the European Court of Justice, I mean, obviously, yah? Well, him being a Cambridge hob nob, I was using his rules of English. Forgive me darling ;)

Darling, get with the programme my dear, where was Alfred from?

I understand your reply, yesterday @History_Man said he understood that "Court of Justice" obviously meant the European Court of Justice, I mean, obviously, yah? Well, him being a Cambridge hob nob, I was using his rules of English. Forgive me darling ;)
Denmark wasn't it? Wasn't he an Angle?

Nor Cnut.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
However, Alfred was...?
Denmark wasn't it? Wasn't he an Angle?
If an Angle or Saxon, it's better than accused of being French although Scandinavian! But having read up, he was the 3rd generation of his family born in Britain.

If an Angle or Saxon, it's better than accused of being French although Scandinavian! But having read up, he was the 3rd generation of his family born in Britain.

Oh dear. I am sure you know that the Normans were the descendants of NorTH MEN - the Vikings - some of whom came from Latvia - I am home at last ;)

Latest Threads