Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old English gunmaking skills

Been around for years but the old guy in this series of videos knows what he's doing, this is all the old ways used in the English gun trade , Purdey's, Holland's, Rigby,'s , Boss ect all used these methods which never changed for generations, in true British style of demanding to do things the most difficult way possible, and pouring scorn on such dubious foreign inventions as " machine tools " they chiseled, filed and smoke lamped their way to a finished gun in just 1000 hours.

Unfortunately Mr Rowe was on his last legs when these were filmed and its hard to make out what he's saying sometimes but its still worth sticking with.

Just Google ," Jack Rowe" on the Midway channel for the whole series.

I think this may have been posted before at which time, and I may be wrong, but am sure @Ravers highlighted something about the lack of mention of chronic lunchtime drinking in the trade while discussing the craft.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think this may have been posted before at which time, and I may be wrong, but am sure @Ravers highlighted something about the lack of mention of chronic lunchtime drinking in the trade while discussing the craft.

Indeed.

1000 hours might go into a London best gun, but so do nearly 500 pints.

What machine can replicate this? Nothing. Judgement, hand tools and a pint of whiskey by the sound of it to get it done. A full service every 50 years, whether it's needed or not.

Indeed.

1000 hours might go into a London best gun, but so do nearly 500 pints.
Imagine how many man hours would be saved and guns produced without the lunchtime pints...... just imagine :grin:.

I can imagine the ‘challenges’ of managing functioning alcoholics and aspiring alcoholics being ‘interesting’.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Been around for years but the old guy in this series of videos knows what he's doing, this is all the old ways used in the English gun trade , Purdey's, Holland's, Rigby,'s , Boss ect all used these methods which never changed for generations, in true British style of demanding to do things the most difficult way possible, and pouring scorn on such dubious foreign inventions as " machine tools " they chiseled, filed and smoke lamped their way to a finished gun in just 1000 hours.

Unfortunately Mr Rowe was on his last legs when these were filmed and its hard to make out what he's saying sometimes but its still worth sticking with.

Just Google ," Jack Rowe" on the Midway channel for the whole series.

Magical, just magical. I could watch that kind of skill for hours and never get bored.

Mr Rowe clearly has his best years behind him, but he can still strike a hammer pein where it should be very time. Me? Those barrels would have been smacked to buggery as I try to hit the same spot twice!

Drink caused some terrible mistakes in gun making.

images (2).jpeg