Old documentaries - but cannot find them on YouTube

Yokel

LE
Documentaries are great. Back in the day of VHS videotapes I used to record them, although some I missed. I would love to find a few.

1. Panorama - about Saddam Hussein's weapon programmes and his attempts to acquire technology both openly and by clandestine means. 1990 or 1991 I think.

2. Panorama - about the Iraqi supergun. 1991 I think.

3. Equinox - a late 1993 visit to an American aircraft carrier in operations in the Adriatic.

4. The Moscow Criterion - a 1995 BBC2 programme about the history of Britain's nuclear weapons, presented by Mark Urban.

5. Esther - not sure what year it was, but Esther Rantzen once did an episode of her talk show about girlie magazine models and why they did it. Great psychological insights maybe - and models in the studio

It's a great cover story but we know that you are only interested in number 5

Yokel

LE
No but it is the only one I never saw. I can vaguely remember the one about Saddam's weapon project and his acquisition of things like machine tools, or the one about his supergun. I remember the nuclear weapons one and wonder what the time of it would be like now since relations with Russia under Putin went sour.

BBC iPlayer has done good archive stuff including Horizon science docs. There’s several about the space race, one about the emergence of AIDS from 82 which I remember seeing at the time and a fascinating one about the mathematician who cracked Fermat’s Last Theorem

BBC iPlayer has done good archive stuff including Horizon science docs. There’s several about the space race, one about the emergence of AIDS from 82 which I remember seeing at the time and a fascinating one about the mathematician who cracked Fermat’s Last Theorem
I enjoyed the FLT one.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Channel 4 did a cracking one about the Russians in Afghanistan c 1990.
Some great footage and surprisingly moving music.
And Grozny in the mid 90s. Soundtrack was Haru Mamburu by Nogu Svelo: The column of tanks and other armour driving straight at the camera the hanging a right at the last second and going past and past and past sticks in my mind.

TamH70

MIA
There was a series on Channel 4 (I think) covering disasters - the King's Cross fire, the Herald of Free Enterprise sinking and so on. I've been trying to find it for years but with no luck. Its subtitle was "The Psychology of Disaster" and it went into detail as to why the human factor in all of the calamities made things worse.

Yokel

LE
I think one of the first disaster related documentary series was a BBC series called Disaster (I think) that was shown in early 1997. It was narrated by John Nettles and covered things such as the Piper Alpha disaster and the crash of a DC-10 airliner in the US following an accidental decompression and three hydraulic lines being severed.

Fascinating stuff for the young Engineer.

I also enjoyed the programmes featuring Sir John Harvey Jones trying to advise the management at ailing companies.

The Beeb once made a seven-part documentary on the invasion of Iraq called "Fighting the War", it followed the political & military leaders in the planning, the fighting and during those initial months in Iraq.

I'd have really liked to see this again but I there are definite difficulties as "almost every episode has brought complaints from the MoD".

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Does any one if there are any recordings out there of the series 999?

I cannot remember when it stopped. It ran throughout the nineties and was basically about emergencies and rescues, featuring the emergency services, medical personnel, the RSPCA with animal rescues, and the armed forces - mostly SAR and EOD.

There were safety tips - first aid, water safety, bad weather in the mountains etc. Later series featured a stunt man doing things such as demonstrating things such as demonstrating the power of flood water.

Would they be able to show that sort of programme now?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember, probably some time in the 90s, before "the science was settled", BBC Panorama proved comprehensively that Global Warming was a myth started by Maggie (PBUH) because the scientific thinking at the start of the 80s was that the signs were of an impending Ice Age. By spreading the myth of Global Warming, she could push measures against an ice age down the road.

You can find any episode ever of Panorama in the BBC archives. Except that one. Hmm.

Yokel

LE
I remember, probably some time in the 90s, before "the science was settled", BBC Panorama proved comprehensively that Global Warming was a myth started by Maggie (PBUH) because the scientific thinking at the start of the 80s was that the signs were of an impending Ice Age. By spreading the myth of Global Warming, she could push measures against an ice age down the road.

You can find any episode ever of Panorama in the BBC archives. Except that one. Hmm.

Have you got a link to that archive? I am particularly interested in the 1990 one about Saddam Hussein's acquisition of Western technology for weapons development? I think they did another one just on the Supergun project.

I wonder if there are archives of the Esther Rantzen programme I mentioned in the first post?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Have you got a link to that archive? I am particularly interested in the 1990 one about Saddam Hussein's acquisition of Western technology for weapons development? I think they did another one just on the Supergun project.

I wonder if there are archives of the Esther Rantzen programme I mentioned in the first post?
Nah. I looked maybe 10-15 years ago but don't ask me where. My Google-fu was better back then. Now, I'm retired.

ancient_lbv

Old-Salt
I’ve been hunting around for the 1995 Redcaps documentary - a fair number of references to it on the inter web, but no actual video from what I can see

I found a blokes youtube channel earlier today, and he has a collection of early 1960s-ish short documentaries from the Rank Organisation, a lot of them on military subjects. The one thing that all of them qualify as, is as glimpses of recent history, and there are some fascinating topics..

This one before Dinger's (and my) time, but he may well be interested?

Yokel

LE
I am not sure what made me think of it, but I recall stumbling upon a documentary on BBC2. There was some boring waffle and then it showed a student taking her knickers off, sitting on a chair and having a good rub, whilst being filmed ultra up close.

Needlessly explicit for a Science documentary.