Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Discipline Issues

Now they would just need to google the British Army website or wikpedia to find that out.
Or in the day, read the Gunner magazine

dlrg

LE
Isn't 7 Sigs (?) closer, at Brawdy?
Good god that brings back memories. Last time I was at RAF Brawdy, I got a lift to HMS Eskimo. She was berthed at Pembroke Dock at the time -1990ish. (I'm the one on the left)
HMS Eskimo.jpg

crazy_chester

Old-Salt
The OP is prob on some "funny" wind up. Likely ex cadet or TA from Wales or west of England as Penally has been largely used as a camp location for these sorts.

We're you religious?

That sort of attitude would never of cut in BAOR!

Needed one night of sleep per week to avoid killing idiots on Monday morning.

The first time I had budae jjigae was at the KATUSA Snack Bar on the west ridge of the top of the hill, at Camp Howze, Korea, in 1987. The little village out the front gate was called Bong-il-chon. The largest town in the area at the time was about 10km up (ENE) MSR 1, called Munsan-ni. 1/31 INF was at the bottom of the hill that was Camp Howze, East of the main gate, later reflagged to 1/5 IN, and HHC, 3d BDE, 2d ID was at the top of hill in the center. The Medical AID station was slightly to the NE of HHC, the post pool was SE of HHC, HHC's motor pool was down the East side of the hill, the helipad was ESE of HHC, and the Rec Center was down the South side of the hill.
Huh, Munsan. I had to rough it at Youngsan. It was no picnic you know, night runs in the bars of Itawon. I couldn't remember what had happened at 8am the next morning, let alone 36 years later.

Were you one of these spendid chaps of the 2 ID speed bumps who snapped to attention and shouted out "In front of them all sir" as I gave a cheery wave from the comfort of my airconditioned/heated bus on the way to Panamunjon JSA?

Huh, Munsan. I had to rough it at Youngsan. It was no picnic you know, night runs in the bars of Itawon. I couldn't remember what had happened at 8am the next morning, let alone 36 years later.

Were you one of these spendid chaps of the 2 ID speed bumps who snapped to attention and shouted out "In front of them all sir" as I gave a cheery wave from the comfort of my airconditioned/heated bus on the way to Panamunjon JSA?

Those snappy dressers in polyester would be from the UN Command Security Battalion, 8th Army, not 2 ID, who live on JSA. But they wear the big blue bullseye, and not the 8th Army patch common in civilized Youngsan. They also had patrols around PanMunJom in real uniforms when they weren't playing dress up, unlike the rest of Eighth Army down in Seoul getting soft and complaining about their drinking getting interrupted every time an unscheduled alert happened. Half way up the hill headed South(ish) in Itawon? What was your favorite? King Club (East side) or Boston Club (West side) on the second floor?

Me, I spent most of my time in Korea not drinking, babysitting Sparkies and Oxymorons in the woods most of the time, and rarely saw my bunk in a quonset hut in the middle of the Western corridor, or made it down to Seoul for the riots in Itaewon, however the one riot that did find me in Seoul made the papers.

Robme

LE
Those snappy dressers in polyester would be from the UN Command Security Battalion, 8th Army, not 2 ID, who live on JSA. But they wear the big blue bullseye, and not the 8th Army patch common in civilized Youngsan. They also had patrols around PanMunJom in real uniforms when they weren't playing dress up, unlike the rest of Eighth Army down in Seoul getting soft and complaining about their drinking getting interrupted every time an unscheduled alert happened. Half way up the hill headed South(ish) in Itawon? What was your favorite? King Club (East side) or Boston Club (West side) on the second floor?

Me, I spent most of my time in Korea not drinking, babysitting Sparkies and Oxymorons in the woods most of the time, and rarely saw my bunk in a quonset hut in the middle of the Western corridor, or made it down to Seoul for the riots in Itaewon, however the one riot that did find me in Seoul made the papers.
The Grand Old Opry on Hooker hill. All those good ole boys in their cowboy boots and Cobra drivers in their US Cavalry gear. The UN club opposite the Hamilton Hotel was also a favourite. The Kings Club was an African American club therefore not frequented by us honkeys, although I did inadvertently walk in there by mistake. The brothers were quite friendly though. Possibly because I was with half a dozen Gurkhas. The Kings club is a gay bar now apparently.

The JSA is all ROK now and all the US army units are being re-located to the new Camp Humpries except for an Artillery Bn near the DMZ and the logistics hub at Taegu.

I have been back to Seoul in the last few years. The last time in 2018. It was sad to see Yongsan drawing down. Itawon has gone upmarket with post foreign restaurants and bars catering for well off young Koreans. All the shops that catered for the US military moved down to Humpries at Songtek - the ville outside the camp.

I always used to laugh when those dudes from 25 ID Tropical Lightning came over in January/February from Hawai for Exercise Team Spirit in the depth's of a Korean winter.

Have you been back to Korea in recent years?

The Grand Old Opry on Hooker hill. All those good ole boys in their cowboy boots and Cobra drivers in their US Cavalry gear. The UN club opposite the Hamilton Hotel was also a favourite. The Kings Club was an African American club therefore not frequented by us honkeys, although I did inadvertently walk in there by mistake. The brothers were quite friendly though. Possibly because I was with half a dozen Gurkhas. The Kings club is a gay bar now apparently.

The JSA is all ROK now and all the US army units are being re-located to the new Camp Humpries except for an Artillery Bn near the DMZ and the logistics hub at Taegu.

I have been back to Seoul in the last few years. The last time in 2018. It was sad to see Yongsan drawing down. Itawon has gone upmarket with post foreign restaurants and bars catering for well off young Koreans. All the shops that catered for the US military moved down to Humpries at Songtek - the ville outside the camp.

I always used to laugh when those dudes from 25 ID Tropical Lightning came over in January/February from Hawai for Exercise Team Spirit in the depth's of a Korean winter.

Have you been back to Korea in recent years?

The King Club used to be kind of weirdly self segregating, although African-American patronage has likely always been the majority. And, although the crowd always seemed rather sociable, but cool, it was also always a good spot for a scrap or three. The Caucasians generally congregated around the bar, and a small contingent of ROK SF types could occasionally be found in the corner formed by the windows and the short wall across from the bar. Odd that it would end up being the spot for jeongmal joh-eun chingus. But I guess the one thing that never changes is change.

My first year over there, I got to go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks to enjoy 25th ID's Air Assault school, down to Cheju Island for the USFK 8th Army Rappelling and Mountaineering course, and over to ROK 9th ID's Ranger School for lots of duck walking. I also got to enjoy flooding and monsoon season as well as Team Spirit Exercises twice. Most of my time over there was spent on a mountain team in and around the Z.

Haven't been back recently, but planning to if I survive the cold from next door to hell, and my girlfriend ever makes it back from China.

Latest Threads