Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Discipline Issues

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
He can't have been 22 AD, the only place they went was the Hebrides to fire Rapier missiles. They were stationed in Dortmund.

Rapier didn't exist until 1972, how could he have used them 22 years after Jesus was born?

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
Let me set your mind at rest G-S.

I know the old LE Captain you alluded to... I promoted him to Lance Corporal back in 1982 or so.
Captain 'Grumpy' told me that he RTUd you in the best interests of you and the Service, felt your talents were wasted in that Brythonic backwater...

Due to the passage of time, and bagging too much glue, one's recollection becomes somewhat impaired, sadly, having taken a quick look at your personnel file, I feel your lifestyle has indeed taken its toll as I find no mention of anything, even remotely, concerning the incident you describe.
The good Captain... now an In-Pensioner at the Royal Hospital Chelsea... described you as a "Good Lad".
He was, though, rather less than complimentary about the Admin' lady to whom you referred... 'Bitter', was how he described her... apparently old Grumps, being a little, how can I put this delicately? fey, had rebuffed her advances on several occasions...she'd taken to telling tales about him, questioning his masculinity, etc., very passive-aggressive - and, he added, rather jealous of young soldiers of whom he was.. umm... fond.

I sincerely hope your mind is now at rest knowing you were held in the highest regard by your superiour officer.
I am sure, once this quarantine farce is over, dear old Grumps would be delighted if you were to visit him at Chelsea... he intimated as much... with a tinge of wistful longing in his voice.

Sincerely,

B-D

N.B. Persec forbids me to use Grumpy's real name.

You probably won't believe this, but I actually don't know who that LE Capt was or what his job was. I was just told to go in this office, go here, go there. I think I signed some forms, maybe about kit.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
The OP is a self confessed thief who got caught and punished, yet he is as honest as the day is long.

He can't remember where he served or how long for.

He knows very little Army slang, so little in fact that a mere Stab like me has a more comprehensive vocabulary of it.

I'm off to read my Sven Hassell novels, they bear more semblance to reality than Glue Sniffers tales.

Of course I can remember my units and my years served.
I just don't want to put all the details here.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
Oh I carried eggs and bread, and bacon, beans, sausages, sauces, various tinned and fresh food and condiments. It all went into my trailer.
Everyone's the same in the smoking area, more or less

I believe what you say about the smoking area. I've never smoked, but I've seen them chatting.
And I believe that you filled your trailer with your own food. But I never did that. We just got our ration packs when we arrived at the training area.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
Can't name your unit or camp from less than 20 years ago, and it doesn't seem that long ago?

I can name every unit and location I was at during my Army career which started a bit more than 35 years ago, and that ******* seems like forever ago...

The first time I had budae jjigae was at the KATUSA Snack Bar on the west ridge of the top of the hill, at Camp Howze, Korea, in 1987. The little village out the front gate was called Bong-il-chon. The largest town in the area at the time was about 10km up (ENE) MSR 1, called Munsan-ni. 1/31 INF was at the bottom of the hill that was Camp Howze, East of the main gate, later reflagged to 1/5 IN, and HHC, 3d BDE, 2d ID was at the top of hill in the center. The Medical AID station was slightly to the NE of HHC, the post pool was SE of HHC, HHC's motor pool was down the East side of the hill, the helipad was ESE of HHC, and the Rec Center was down the South side of the hill.

The first time I had sushi was at the Hakone Inn, in Columbus, Georgia, just west of Exit 8, North of Fort Benning, Georgia in 1985. I was on Main Post at the time and assigned to TSB, which was basically HQ for Post, and the parent organization for Airborne School, Ranger School, OCS, and The School of the Americas at the time. We also had nightly "runs" 6 nights a week on Victory Drive, which was Exit 4 where we hit 4 or 5 clubs, then had a stop at whichever burger joint, or waffle house, or wing truck to sober up before heading back to post just in time to change for morning formation and PT. Protocol for the morning run was to hold it together for stretches and into the run, then to slide to the edge of formation when you needed to offload some of the previous night's intake and slip back in at the rear, unless you got dicked with road guard, in which case you better hold it whilst in front of the formation and whilst stopping cars as the company passed, then unload quick and sprint back up to lead as fast as you could.

You might find yourself better accepted when you can remember some stories and some more, not as fantastic, details of your own military history.

So in summary, you went out drinking and found PT hard the next day.
Thanks.

You probably won't believe this, but I actually don't know who that LE Capt was or what his job was. I was just told to go in this office, go here, go there. I think I signed some forms, maybe about kit.

My first CO out of training was a Special Forces and Ranger qualified "Mustang" (prior enlisted) Captain, who had a Combat Infantry Badge, also holding Master Jump Wings (w/combat jump), Air Assault qualification, Pathfinder qualification, as well as Master EOD qualification. He also rotated through a nice collection of foreign wings. His was quite the impressive CV. The only thing slightly ambiguous about him was his first name and his last name both could have worked as either given name or surname.

My second CO was a Special Forces qualified "Mustang" Captain, who was thrilled when they finally approved the crossed arrows, and he could retire his crossed rifles, he was definitely a bit misty when he pinned them on. "Big Jim" was a 6'4" ginger, with the Norman-Irish surname of a Saint or a scoundrel. CIB, Master Wings, Air Assault, Pathfinder, and usually wore Korean Jump wings (as he came from, and returned to Det K).

My third CO was a 5'7" hardass Ranger qualified "Mustang" Captain, that replaced the second, rather than a result of me transferring somewhere else, CIB, Master Jump Wings, Air Assault, Pathfinder, and rotated through a small, but impressive, set of central American wings.

Of course I can remember my units and my years served.
I just don't want to put all the details here.

I may have rotated the compass points with respect to one of the bases I mentioned to see if anyone may have noticed. If I did, it might have been by roughly 42°, but, if I did by any°, I have my reasons. Those reasons certainly aren't because I am worried people may think I actually know where I was 35 years ago, on a Monday night in March, or 37 years ago for an extended stint with the premier Infantry dog and pony show.

Last edited:
So in summary, you went out drinking and found PT hard the next day.
Thanks.

We went out drinking 6 nights a week, and still remember where we were 37 years later. I rarely found PT hard, but the hangovers could be rough.

We also had the pleasure most mornings of "breakfast dates" after with some of the cute, fit, female riggers that were in abundance thanks to the relationship and proximity to The Airborne School, and later the new 75th Ranger Regiment HQ. No forever waiting on a bus load of nurses to show up for me, at least not during that portion of my early career.

He can't have been 22 AD, the only place they went was the Hebrides to fire Rapier missiles. They were stationed in Dortmund.
Post 255
They moved to Kirton in Lindsey in 1993/1994
AD was dropped late 1980s early 1990s as it told the enemy what their role was

Look at Glue-Sniffer's posting- for someone who claims to be bit of a sprog in 2004, seems to have a lot of first hand knowledge of the 70's/80's, whilst claiming ignorance of military culture...

should scream SOCK PUPPET WINDUP

Issi

War Hero
Definitely a wind up.
Comes from the wrong side of the track, knows rough types from Newport, but types very eloquently without any spelling mistakes or clumsy grammar.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Definitely a wind up.
Comes from the wrong side of the track, knows rough types from Newport, but types very eloquently without any spelling mistakes or clumsy grammar.

But it had been funny.

My first CO out of training was a Special Forces and Ranger qualified "Mustang" (prior enlisted) Captain, who had a Combat Infantry Badge, also holding Master Jump Wings (w/combat jump), Air Assault qualification, Pathfinder qualification, as well as Master EOD qualification. He also rotated through a nice collection of foreign wings. His was quite the impressive CV. The only thing slightly ambiguous about him was his first name and his last name both could have worked as either given name or surname.

My second CO was a Special Forces qualified "Mustang" Captain, who was thrilled when they finally approved the crossed arrows, and he could retire his crossed rifles, he was definitely a bit misty when he pinned them on. "Big Jim" was a 6'4" ginger, with the Norman-Irish surname of a Saint or a scoundrel. CIB, Master Wings, Air Assault, Pathfinder, and usually wore Korean Jump wings (as he came from, and returned to Det K).

My third CO was a 5'7" hardass Ranger qualified "Mustang" Captain, that replaced the second, rather than a result of me transferring somewhere else, CIB, Master Jump Wings, Air Assault, Pathfinder, and rotated through a small, but impressive, set of central American wings.

I may have rotated the compass points with respect to one of the bases I mentioned to see if anyone may have noticed. If I did, it might have been by roughly 42°, but, if I did by any°, I have my reasons. Those reasons certainly aren't because I am worried people may think I actually know where I was 35 years ago, on a Monday night in March, or 37 years ago for an extended stint with the premier Infantry dog and pony show.
Were all these blokes Vietnam Veterans?

Latest Threads