Old codgers re/living their youthful dreams

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by cynical_stab, Oct 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is a load of coffin-dodgers what the TA needs right now? Or should we just be grateful for anyone we can get?

I know they come with 'life experience' but surely in this Inf lead world what we need is youth?
  2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Things have a habit of changing very quickly.
  3. Would you prefer a empty, gapped post or a post filled by an oldie?
  4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

If they can physically do the job then why not? The working life in the Infantry for an older entrant is likely to be considerably shorter, but there's nothing to stop them from re-trading when they can't hack it any more.

I'm 37 and run a PFT in 10 mins dead, but I also know that my knees and back won't last many more years and I'll probably hang my boots up when I hit 40. The cumulative effect of all that tabbing is the reason that I knock back Cod Liver Oil capsules, Glucosamine Sulphate pills and Ibuprofen the same way that the youngsters knock back Haribo!
  5. cynical_stab, at what age does one officially become a coffin dodger?
  6. Perhaps, we should judge people on the skills they provide and not on age. It must be nice to have a role in the army where the first thing you worry about, when in need of a support, is the persons age.
  7. Cynical - to what exactly are you referring?

Be specific about your point and you may get some sensible answers.
  8. TA at 43? It's going to have to hurt after a physical weekend.

Old Codgerdom approx 40:
  9. The TA has always had an older age profile than the regulars. It has always been one of the strengths that it has a more mature profile.

If people can meet the physical tests why not enlist them? They probably have as much to offer than some nineteen year old.

So it hurts -thats his problem, if he's back next week well done him.
  10. And how old are you exactly cynical_stab?

35-45 can seem pretty old when your only 19-25, but the bottom line as stated above is if you can hack it then your in.

Youll find us older types whine a lot less....
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

In fairness that was a reference to my own situation as a JNCO in the Infantry with a few years worth of mileage on my my knees already. A fit 43 year old joining a Corps can easily manage the annual requirements.

As an aside, I will add that having instructed on a variety of recruit training and selection cadres, as a rule the Oldies generally out-perform the youngsters in the physical tests as a group. I don't know why this is, perhaps the mentality/attitude/character of someone joining the TA later in life is more likely to be a fitter person on average?
  12. infantry led role??????? so the british army is all infantry now! i must have drifted of asleep.........must be my age.....
  13. Well, not to kiss a$$ too much, but maybe lots of people are really proud and impressed by what the Army is doing right now, and want to be a part of it. Dr. Johnson had a quote about that, I believe.

If some daft sod of a 37-year old wants to join up and do a single tour before going home to nurse his knees, then good on him, I say. It's one less youthful adonis in harm's way.
  14. "Every man thinks meanly of himself for never having been a soldier." :wink:
  15. Even dafter sod of a 43-year old here! :)