Old & Bold

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Bobling, Jul 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if anyone can help me?

My Grandad was an Engineer in WW2. The details of his service are, as far as I can work out: he was in Greece when it was taken by the Germans, escaped from captivity (apparently by jumping out of a column of march into a ditch) spent considerable time in the mountains in Greece (enough to learn fluent Greek) then got back to friendly forces via boat to Turkey. It was after this that I assume he was in North Africa, he'd certainly been to Cairo, before landing in Italy - I have a silver letter opener with a naked woman as the handle and "Naples, Easter 1944" engraved on it, and I*think* I remember him talking about Monte Cassino. He was in Greece again after VE day though I have no idea of whether he was involved with the Greek Civil War or not. For the record his name is Ted Smith and he ended up a Warrant Officer.

I would like to find out more than the above tales that have come down through the family but can't even trace what unit he was in! Any ideas where I could start?

Thanks, apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum.
  2. Nope but will do. Cheers. The old chap pegged out today RIP.
  3. Good journey, Ted.
  4. god speed.

5. Sorry to hear that Bobling,

Bridge across the clouds Smudger and learn the Angels new songs :cry:
  6. If you contact the veterans agency they can send you all the records about any soldier since 1920. Will send exact instructions tommorrow when I've been in toowork.
  7. Cheers guys