Old Bill cartoon

No.9

LE
Perhaps the image might be in the book “In Search of a Better 'Ole”, on Amazon.co.uk from @ £11.50? But then again is it not likely Bairnsfather never drew this, instead it was some WWII fuselage artist – hence would there be a ‘paper’ cartoon original as such, though there’s probably pics in books of fuselage art?

Re Two Types, I have the books and can scan a few cartoons for you if you like.

No.9

I saw nose-art very similar to this on a photograph of an RCAF Halifax........ even it also was called "Old Bill"........... anyhow, as a redirect, here's a thread I posted for more Bairnsfather cartoons.........

Web Page Name

No.9 said:
Perhaps the image might be in the book “In Search of a Better 'Ole”, on Amazon.co.uk from @ £11.50? But then again is it not likely Bairnsfather never drew this, instead it was some WWII fuselage artist – hence would there be a ‘paper’ cartoon original as such, though there’s probably pics in books of fuselage art?

No.9
Wouldn say no think they summed up the 8th army very well and I would be surprised if Maudlin never used them as inspiration for his 2 characters

No.9 said:

No.9
It seems that Bairnsfather actually did paint this on the aircraft himself.

http://www.olebill.zoomshare.com/4.html

Capt. Bairnsfather painting his most famous “Nose Art, on 305th Bomb Group, 422nd Bomb Squadron, B-17F, serial 42-29673, named “Old Bill”
The B-17 left the U.S. 19 March 1943, assigned to the 305th B.G. on 6 April.

Photo – [John Woolnough 8th Air Force collection]
So it was probably a one off and there aren't any originals, especially as he destroyed a lot of his drawings himself.

Blackcat

War Hero
I have got a couple of the original fragments from france I'll have a butchers see if the is anything in there, don't think their is though.

No.9

LE
Good hit Steven, if he painted to a grid with a prior original, the original should be quite valuable.

No.9

Latest Threads