Old BFT Times

dumbstruck

Old-Salt
PrinceAlbert said:
spaz said:
PrinceAlbert said:
Come on Spaz, surely you did BFTs in boots?? We joined roughly the same time, and I did BFTs in boots and lightweights.
I wasn't objecting to the idea of BFTs in boots, rather his idea that today's soldiers are not up to it.
They can't. Back in my day it was 56 times as far, and we had a 3rd of the time to do it in. And we wore divers boots, and did it blindfolded.

Just ignore the crustys on here. Bless 'em.

They don't know what a real Op tour is ;)
So I suppose Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Gulf 1 and gulf in 2003 does'nt count then, not everybody on this site is a crusty just getting near it. Another thing that really annoys me is people who have to swear to make an argument.

dumbstruck said:
PrinceAlbert said:
spaz said:
PrinceAlbert said:
Come on Spaz, surely you did BFTs in boots?? We joined roughly the same time, and I did BFTs in boots and lightweights.
I wasn't objecting to the idea of BFTs in boots, rather his idea that today's soldiers are not up to it.
They can't. Back in my day it was 56 times as far, and we had a 3rd of the time to do it in. And we wore divers boots, and did it blindfolded.

So I suppose Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Gulf 1 and gulf in 2003 does'nt count then, not everybody on this site is a crusty just getting near it. Another thing that really annoys me is people who have to swear to make an argument.
You didn't make an argument; you made a idiotic statement. You are continuing to do so. Spaz's statement in return was appropriate

Dumbcnut, you really cant tell when someone is being humorous can you?

P

PrinceAlbert

dumbstruck said:
PrinceAlbert said:
spaz said:
PrinceAlbert said:

You missed off Kosovo.

It was meant tongue in cheek, hence the "wink" thing on the end. I knew someone would bite :D

PrinceAlbert said:
Born??!?! BORN?!?!? Back in my dad you died before you were born!! That's how tough we had it!!!
Back in your Dad???

I've heard stories of what you oldies use to get up to but that sounds very Josef Fritzl like

P

PrinceAlbert

sarge_massage_my_passage said:
PrinceAlbert said:
Born??!?! BORN?!?!? Back in my dad you died before you were born!! That's how tough we had it!!!
Back in your Dad???

I've heard stories of what you oldies use to get up to but that sounds very Josef Fritzl like
Very clever :roll:

I'm only 32.

dumbstruck said:
Worst BFT route of all time was in 28 Engr Regt (Hameln) when you had to run through town and in total you had to negotiate 29 right hand corners which slowed you right down. But when there was a BFT tickle test then we had to run next to the river Wasse which was a very straight route and the average time was 9 minutes with no failures. Bring back the BFT.
Served with 28 and have to agree the course was bad. Even worse there was a pub just as you turned right around the last corner on the final run in to the main gate.

However, I believe that the Colerne BFT route was the worst. All on a runway, and all, always, into a very strong headwind.

Agreed PAW, worst route imaginable.

The one at Werl wasn't that pleasant either. I seem to remember it being all downhill on the way out and a slog up with corners back in. Of course the "other" course was kept for inspections. Long slow up followed by near straight downhill sprint back into camp.

The worst though has to be Fort George. All depended on the wind of course but running back out from Ardersier to the Fort around that never ending bend with no shelter from the half a gale that always seemed to appear on BFT days was miserable. On a bad day, you could quite easily add a minute or more to your time.

At the opposite end of the spectrum the one at 39 Hy Regt in Schloss Neuhaus was pretty easy. Started at the back of Athlone Camp and ran in a straight line all the way to the back gate of Dempsey.

The only 'difficulty' was that the route passed a little forested area with rather a pleasant lake, and which used to be used by pads wives in Summer. Always a little off-putting to see these Ron Hill and four-hooker-bra attired creatures, and guaranteed to slow you down a tad as you gaped open-mouthed in disbelief.

Worst BFT route of all time was in 28 Engr Regt (Hameln) when you had to run through town and in total you had to negotiate 29 right hand corners which slowed you right down. But when there was a BFT tickle test then we had to run next to the river Wasse which was a very straight route and the average time was 9 minutes with no failures. Bring back the BFT.
I was in the Cambridge OTC RE unit. We were lucky enough to do a summer camp at Hameln with 28 Engr Regt. They certainly considered themselves the elite Sapper unit and 9 minutes without exception for the BFT would support that claim. Amazing to watch them bridge the Weser in the dark.

Anyone here remember doing the real old BFT where you had to complete the basic obstacle course at the end of it? :wink: :wink:

Wasn’t the obstacle a long jump and climb unaided into the back of a 4 toner with the ramp up.

Wasn’t the obstacle a long jump and climb unaided into the back of a 4 toner with the ramp up.
Think that was part of a different test prior to the introduction of the CFT.

The old BFT used to include a couple of sections of the assault course, run along the ramps, jump across the angled water ditch and climb over the 6ft wall unaided. Around 1975 to 1980 time.

Endoscope

War Hero
Think that was part of a different test prior to the introduction of the CFT.

The old BFT used to include a couple of sections of the assault course, run along the ramps, jump across the angled water ditch and climb over the 6ft wall unaided. Around 1975 to 1980 time.
I think your pti made that bit up...

PFT/BPFA/BFT/PFA - 1.5 miles in boots if you are a dinosaur. For those of us who still have control of our bodily functions, 1.5 miles in trainers after doing at least 44 Press Ups in 2 mins and 50 sit ups in two mins. Add in 2 x heaves for the old *******. Youngsters got 10 mins 30s. 11mins at 30 years, 11.30 at 35 years and so on. Splitarses got about 6 hours to do it.

CFT/AFT - 8 miles in 2hrs-1hr-55mins carrying 25/15/10kg depending on trade.

RMTs - Putting ammo tins on bedfords, fireman's carries and running around with two full jerry cans. Done after the CFT.

ACFT - 1.5 miles in CFT kit best effort. Pass mark was 15 mins.

2 miler - done by those who failed their BARB test.

Nowadays - turn up to the gym and have a pulse. Do some tests that even Steven Hawking could pass, and he's dead FFS.

Last edited:
include a couple of sections of the assault course, run along the ramps, jump across the angled water ditch and climb over the 6ft wall unaided. Around 1975 to 1980 time.
We had to do this whilst wearing Gas tight suits and breathing apparatus, so as to understand degradation as opposed to the effects of Biological and Chemical munitions during their Disposal.

One of the best courses I did though.

Latest Threads