Old BBC comedy shows

haloman

Old-Salt
A couple of weeks ago someone mentioned an internet site where you could download and play old BBC comedy shows. Round the Horne, Hancock etc. I meant to stick it in my favourites on the laptop but can't remember what the site is called. Can anybody help?

Cheers H

Considering the vast archive of the BBC, repeatedly rented out to various networks around the world, surely this income could pay for the TV licences for over 75's.... who basically had funded these programmes in the first place. ("This is a dogs licence, with the word dog crossed out and cat written in crayon "........ "man didn't have the right form at the time").

BBC sounds is a good place to start, not the player site.

Last edited:
I think it was Radio 4 Extra.

You could try BBC Sounds and iPlayer as well.

You might not find them as funny as you remember. I listened to some episodes of the Goons, Navy Lark etc and they were rubbish.

soleil

War Hero
A couple of weeks ago someone mentioned an internet site where you could download and play old BBC comedy shows. Round the Horne, Hancock etc. I meant to stick it in my favourites on the laptop but can't remember what the site is called. Can anybody help?

Cheers H

Yes, some of them have not worn the years well.

I used this clip to wake up the crowd at 06:00 to get them interested in Soviet recognition, 12 f,king times in 12 hours...... worked just as well at 18:00...... I know it's not BBC but I just wanted a flimsy excuse to post it, at least most of 22 Signal Regiment will remember this, if not the difference between a T-55 and a T-62.

Last edited:

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Radio 4 Extra 1900-2000 nightly to get the fix you require.
Got my Dad a few xmas's ago Dick Barton - Special Agent & Biggles from the 1940's on CD.

Cheers H
RadioEchoes.com has a lot of Beeb stuff plus American radio shows.

Yes, as @dogmeat says, radioechoes,com has loads of them. You can select genre (comedy) and then go through them all and download them. Round the Horne, Hancock's Half Hour, The Navy Lark, Yes Minister (and Prime Minister), Just a Minute and so on They're all there. Plus American shows like Bob Hope etc.

I record them to memory stick and play them in the car on long journeys.

Hancock's half hour and Round the horn still stand up today as good as ever. Round the horn can be pure filth. How they got it on the radio in the sixties is beyond me.
Later stuff by Andy Hamilton, million pound radio show and old harrys game are worth a listen though a little left leaning.

Hancock's half hour and Round the horn still stand up today as good as ever. Round the horn can be pure filth. How they got it on the radio in the sixties is beyond me.
Later stuff by Andy Hamilton, million pound radio show and old harrys game are worth a listen though a little left leaning.
Thank you for that..... I've basically just been listening to anything Trump...... like Spitting Image but with real consequences.

As far as Round the Horn was concerned I sometimes wondered if the censors understodd what they were hearing.
Also 20 years ago Frank Muir said they put in some really outrageous stuff so the other stuff got through.
Plus I think people were not so far up their errses as they are now.
Till Death do us Part wouldn't get a start today.

haloman

Old-Salt
Many thanks for the replies. There is a wealth of great old comedy in your replies and will be added to my favourites list.

Cheers M

Latest Threads