Old bases left to rot....

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Run_Charlie!, Apr 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Wroughton Hosp, Cambridge Mil Hosp, both rotting a treat as we speak.

2. Just returned from Hong Kong all of the New Territories buildings are vacant and rotting.

3. Halton Hospital.... scandalous, utterly shameful

4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Last year I went to Bridgend. A guy pointed me toward the POW camp on the western outskirts. I think it was Model who ended up there after the war. It had been a US Army camp prior to D-Day. It took me about an hour to find in the undergrowth (Wor Lass, recovering from serious illness, got to sit in a folding chair for 1/2 hour when she wilted in the heat).

I eventually found a single remaining hut behind a seriously secure metal fence. Seemed the local yobs had found it and reduced it to rubble.

We gave up.

It's been discussed on ARRSE before but I am bollixed if I can remember ... got it, Island Farm.

5. If you refer to Generalfeldmarschall Model of the German Army, then Im sure he blew his brains out after the Ruhr and Falaise pocket debacles. Couldn't really do much else after the way he victimised Paulus for not committing suicide at Stalingrad.

6. Montgomery Lines in Aldershot, though it was practically falling down 20 years ago!

7. I heard a rumour, and where better to float it than these august portals, that Fremington Camp in Devon is due to be closed next year?

8. Been to various RAF Bases listed, sad to see alot have been neglected and claimed by nature.... :roll:

9. Sad indeed!