Old BAOR Maps

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SlimeyToad, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have lying around an old Ord Survey style map of any area of Germany, used for map-reading training back in the 80's and 90s before GPS took over.

I'm looking for one that has Easterly Magnetic Variation isogonic lines marked on it, to demonstrate to my Flight Navigation students that Mag to Grid / Grid to Mag yada yada only works for Westerly Mag Var and is reversed for Easterly Mag Var.

Yes, that's why you kept getting lost in Germany after all those hours (minutes) of instruction in the Brecons!! Unless you were in my section in which case it was just plain crap map-reading!

Yes, I know it's bollocks and you'd think everything was done with GPS and Flight Computers but our darling regulators insist our students SHALL learn how to use a map, pencil, abacus and slide ruler (visit your local museum to see one - in fact the bit of kit still used today is on display in the Paras Museum at Arnhem!)

Grateful for any help.

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I have some of the Netherlands I could drop in the post for you if that helps, I'll check at work tomorrow.
  3. Anchor supplies at Ripley used to have loads of Cold war Era air charts of Europe. Not sure if they would be what you want.

Give them a call but don't expect them to understand what you're talking about - just buy a couple of maps and take a chance!

4. perhaps the stazi,or kgb,or the soxmis might have some spare one's.
  5. SOXMIS definately those feckers had one away from us in the 80's of that I am certain :)
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I worked in Slovakia in the late nineties. The government wouldn't release their maps for us to use so we bought the old soviet maps from the Russians. On my travels I discovered whole towns and roads that were on the maps but didn't exist in real life. Deception in case they were captured?
  7. Mate you need to contact the map place at Eltham! Sorry don't have any numbers but i got some old maps from them a couple of years back!
  8. Eh ya not The Slimy Toad of Parlour fame are you ?
  9. I don't think so, not that I'm aware of at least!!

I was famous in my own parlour, once, just the once.

You've got me intrigued now, though...who's this impostor in the Parlour?
  10. There is/was a huge map store at Guilford at the old WRAC training depot I can remember seeing ariel maps in there
  11. Try and get in touch with 42 (GEO) ENGR Regiment, if they don't have access to it, then as previously stated (F)eltham's Map Depot should have some of it, unfortunately I don't have the number to hand, however if you ring 42, if they don't have anything for you, they can point you in Feltham's direction.

Hope that helps!