Old B*stard

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by wasonceacrab, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First post, so go easy eh fellas.

I'm 37, coming up for 38. Ex RAF techie and bored out of my tits in the civvy world since leaving the mob near 3 year ago.

Fancy a challenge, and I'm seriously considering the TA. I'm relocating to Derbyshire in a couple of months. So, two big questions for yous!

One, at 37, am I too old to join? If not (I lied then, 3 Q's) would I feel like an old fcuker at 37 amongst what I assume would be a load of early to mid twenties lads?

Two, if the above answers are positive, what units are in the Derbyshire area?
    Not bothered whther they be infantry or technical.

Cheers for the answers, crack on with the abuse!

mac

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

1. No, you're not too old. Maximum is 43 years old.
    2. Depends on you really. I joined at 32 and had to adjust to the youngsters appalling taste in music and references to arcane 'celebrities' but those were the only problems.
    3. Clicky.

3. msr

msr LE

Average age of the TA recruit is 28, I believe.

You will have to wonder about 'Bench' clothing - I did...

msr

4. That's so sad and true. And what's even sadder (in the sense of making me unhappy) is you've a Stone Roses link as your signature- that takes me back to sixth form- and earlier!

5. I've just joined at 37 with none of your previous experience and I seem to be struggling through - even beating some of the 18 year olds in the risk reduction run!

Can't steer you as to what units are in Derbyshire but the Army Jobs website has a pretty decent search function:

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/Pages/InYourArea.aspx

6. Thanks for the input lads. I quite fancy the Signals to be honest, brother ex regular, plus my job involves aircraft comms systems etc so shouldn't be too much to take on trade wise.

Cheers for the links

ac