old Army pension

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by suerowe, Jan 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, My husband only served 3yrs (Ireland mostly) and left in 1975. He recently enquired about any pension he may have and was told that he didn't qualify as he had served less than 5yrs, he thinks that if the Army says so then this must be correct ,but I can't believe this is right.
    I found a report on ' preserved pensions' which stated that you were eligible as long as you had served more than 2yrs !, so where do we go from here. How can we find out what is correct and how do we go about claiming?. I hope there is someone out there who can point us in the right direction.
    Happy New Year
  2. Sue,

If his service included 2 years from the age of 18 then he does qualify. I have attached a link that you may find useful.

3. Sue,

Welcome to the site!

I would not wish to argue with PAW, mainly because he is a damned fine chap, but I wish to introduce a note of caution.

You wrote that your husband left in 1975. The notes, to which PAW referred you, are for the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 (aka AFPS75) and your husband, IMHO, will not have been a member! (I note, however, that whoever compiled the pages did not appreciate that there are now two pension schemes running at the same time!).

I think your husband will have been a member of whatever scheme was running before then, and that could have been under completely different rules (the changes to Services' pay in 1969-1970 were hugely radical and would have had a similar impact on the Service pension! The changes in the pension schemes from 1975 and 2005 were equally as radical, if not more so, and I imagine that the changes in 1975 were just as radical.

There are rather more "radicals" in there than I would have liked, but you should get my drift....

Did your husband leave before Apr 1975 which, I imagine, was the cut-off date for the new pension? Has he kept any documentation? Payslips etc?

4. Litotes,

Happy New Year, and thank you for highlighting my staffing deficiencies. Actually, having been with AFPS 75 almost since its inception, I did not even consider what the T & C of its predecessor were. Apollonia's post seems to make it clear that they were considerably less generous than AFPS 75.

Apologies for my error.

5. To get any pension at all for service before 1975 he would have had to serve the full 22 years. I am well aware of thisn having served from 1958 to 1973 and entitled to absolutely no pension at all.
    There is a campain being run by The Armed Forces Pension Group (AFPG) and more information can be obtained at info@afpg.info
  6. PAW,

I joined in cough and cough, cough and was advised to keep every single piece of relevant paper that passed my nose. I have all my payslips but, interestingly, nothing whatever about the change from AFPS? to AFPS75.

As I described, the changes to the AF pay system in 1969-71 were huge and the subsequent change to the pension must also have been huge, but I haven't got anything on paper. In my defence, I will say that I was defending Queen & Country from the Irish and Russian hordes and that, in my opinion, I did a very good job!

7. Cfn X,

I think that is what I had heard from the grapevine but I have not seen anything in writing. I will follow your link.

8. Thanks very much for the advice. He actually left after the cut-off of April, in July 1975 and was a reservist for 25yrs but as he was never actually called up we don't think this counts for anything.
    Not sure what to do next, ring the Army and ask them again or try to find an application form online,if one exists, or give up. Defeatist attitude I know but it's not easy to get any information from them.

9. Sue, May be worth getting in touch with the veterans agency - Link:

Veterans Agency

Tel:mad: 0800 169 2277

They should be able to give best advice - your husband should have as much info to hand as possible if he calls, Army No, Nat Ins No, exact dates of service ,etc.