Old and Bold

mrboo

Old-Salt
I have never understood why we use Old And Bold for anyone who has served and also as a sort of endearment . To me it is more of an insult . "There are old soldiers and there are bold soldiers, but there are very few old, bold soldiers."

I have never understood why we use Old And Bold for anyone who has served and also as a sort of endearment . To me it is more of an insult . "There are old soldiers and there are bold soldiers, but there are very few old, bold soldiers."
There are a lot of old and bald

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Doesn't say "no" now, does it. So there must be some.

Personally I only resemble the old bit!

That's nice dear.

I've just had a lovely piece of halibut - it was good enough for Jehovah.

Meaning of bold in English

bold
adjective

UK

/bəʊld/ US

/boʊld/

bold adjective (BRAVE)
B2
not frightened of danger:
She was a bold and fearless climber.
The newspaper made the bold move/took the bold step of publishing the names of the men involved.
Synonym
brave
More examples
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words

bold adjective (NOTICEABLE)
B1
strong in colour or shape, and very noticeable to the eye:
They painted the kitchen in bold colours.

in bold (type/print)
printed in thick dark letters:
This sentence is printed in bold.

bold adjective (NOT SHY)
not shy, especially in a way that shows no respect:
He was a bold and defiant little boy.
Related words
boldly
boldness
Idioms
(as) bold as brass
if I may be/make so bold (as to)
(Definition of bold from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

bold | AMERICAN DICTIONARY

bold
adjective [ -er/-est only ]

US

/boʊld/

bold adjective [-er/-est only] (BRAVE)
brave, or without fear:
He is a qualified politician with bold ideas.
Bold can also mean not shy, and almost rude:
She was friendly without being bold.

bold adjective [-er/-est only] (NOTICEABLE)
likely to attract your attention; showy:

I served with many soldiers who are bold, Most of my cohort are still alive with many now drawing there old age pensions. Even the bold ones.

Nato123

War Hero

That's because you must be a thin skinned Biff who fails to understand that in the British Army, if we like someone, we insult them... if we don't like them we blank them or insult them even more

Been insulted recently?

mrboo

Old-Salt
That's because you must be a thin skinned Biff who fails to understand that in the British Army, if we like someone, we insult them... if we don't like them we blank them or insult them even more

Been insulted recently?
Insulted all the time

Slime

LE
This thread will surely go well ;)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Friday's come early!

Slime

LE

Latest Threads