OLD AGE PENSION & MILITARY PENSION

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by fangy1, Mar 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Long time off for most readers on here I think but I have been told that I won't receive the full state pension because I will be in receipt of a Forces Pension (if I complete the required engagement)

Is this really so ? Seems v.unfair as I have paid my fair share of tax & NIns on my wages earned, does anyone have any info on this ?

If I had been out of work and not paid any contributions I get the full rate but if I get a pension (which I will have earned) I don't..

Sounds barking to me.

2. If you have paid the correct amount of National Insurance required you will get your state pension.
    I was at the Financial briefing (Financial Aspects of Resettlement) mid last year.

3. Fangy

damn right you will still get a state pension, as long as you have paid up 'full stamp' which I think is about 32 years of NI contributions. Obviously exact;y WHEN you will get it is a different kettle of fish, seeing as how the Govt have changed the goalposts. I will get mine aged 67 (if I live that long) having checked it out.

4. I get both, only snag is that the state pension takes up roughly all your personal income tax allowance so you get taxed on every penny of your 'occupational pension.'

There is a government site that sets out the pension details and, when you are about 6 years away from receiving state pension, you can send them a form and they will give you a forecast of the state pension you will recieve.
    The link is here: http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/atoz/atozdetailed/occupational.asp

I have left it on the section dealing with occupational pensions, but if you have a look around the site there is a lot more to be found out.

Best of luck!

5. fangy1

Your service pension and any other pension earned twix demob and retirement (whenever that may be) is in addition to your state earned pension.

If you want to find out how much your state pension is then try -

The pension service

Regards

4-8

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Here is an answer I gave some time ago:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=30271/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=20.html

7. ok then, so then it appears my military pension is reduced rather than my OAP - net result is the same.

Thanks to all for your help.