Old 10 and 4 Man Compo Rations

Can't remember mustard in the 10 man packs but we used to chuck a few DM in together and get extra stuff from the local shops to add to them prior to going on exercise
<aside>
a mate of mine used to sell insurance around the BAOR NAAFIs, he was in the queue for NAAFI break and loudly asked for a Chunky meat pie. The Pioneer standing behind him decked him...

Rab_C

War Hero
Prior to joining the RN my first experience of rat packs was the 10 men ones. I was a 9 year old evacuee from Limassol staying in Episkopi in 1974, there were about 15 of us to a 3 bedroom married quarter and we were issued the 10 man packs. Was better than camping in happy valley.

diehard57

War Hero
After trawling through t’interweb I finally found this picture - mustard!
5B9BF43E-2367-4F46-9966-C330D6847583.jpeg

Never seen Mustard in 10 man packs in '60s.Some of them packs went further back than '60's when we got them though.Seem to remember Mutton Jock was prolific.
Just used to eat the stuff. Mattie Barr was i/c scran.
Mutton Jock, Irish Spew..loved the oatmeal block. Never saw Chicken anything. Was there egg powder?

All you care to know and more.
I would dispute their claim that the Chicken Curry was the most popular item - most people I knew, myself included, always went for the steak and kidney pudding.

Londo

LE
I would dispute their claim that the Chicken Curry was the most popular item - most people I knew, myself included, always went for the steak and kidney pudding.
Don't ever remember getting that . Can I claim compo ? ....OH !

Have to agree, a week on babies heads or a week on chicken curry?
Babies heads every time .

Yes, there was mustard powder in the old compo boxes.

Looking at that rations website, why are people so fascinated with 25 year old tins of food that most of us hated at the time?
Certain things were hated, eg compo sausages, biscuits AB. However some things were loved eg Oatmeal Blocks, chocy, Biscuits Fruit and Chicken Curry. Plus certain bits of kit were practical, I still have half a dozen tin openers which occasionally get used although most modern tins have ring pull openers, I also have some of the resealable lids which are useful for half used tins of beans, long haired CO doesn't eat them and a whole tin has dire consequences for the environment.

Just used to eat the stuff. Mattie Barr was i/c scran.
Mutton Jock, Irish Spew..loved the oatmeal block. Never saw Chicken anything. Was there egg powder?
Egg Powder.....no chance.had a pack once that had tins of smokes in,Players,as I remember,oh,and a can of self heating soup.All chocolate seemed to be missing as well,SQMS Fox used to take it out for kids Christmas Party.Good to have egg banjo at endex with a slice of week old german bread,covered in mud and grease.

Attachments

clothears

War Hero
Son is in the Canadian Army. He's responsible for his units rations. When it's time to dispose of rations, he asks if any on the reserve members who are students wants walk through the stores. He figures he'd rather feed starving students before sending it to the landfill.

Everything is in pouches. Fruit cocktail, macaroni cheese (that's foul and greasy). Legend has it there used to be salmon filets in a pouch.

Loved the tubes of condensed milk and the tubes of jam
Remember buying the tubes of milk from a supermarket just for old times sake about 10 years back .
Don't know if it's still sold now .
You can still get it though finding it in supermarket shelves is a quest.

Londo

LE
You can still get it though finding it in supermarket shelves is a quest.

Cheers mate , not looked in recent years but got the taste again now so will be doing some hunter gathering :-D

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Compo was a good base if you had curry powder/Worcester sauce , powdered pom ,onion.or the like to add to it

Compo was a good base if you had curry powder/Worcester sauce , powdered pom ,onion.or the like to add to it
Even better if you had a No.2 burner, lard and some spuds for chips.

Bloody heavy though.

Latest Threads