Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old 10 and 4 Man Compo Rations

diehard57

War Hero
Can someone who served in the late 60’s early 70’s please confirm that there used to be mustard in the 10 man and 4 man ration boxes. I’m sure it came in powder form and you added water to make a paste. Please put me out of my misery and confirm that my meds haven’t been playing tricks with my mind! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Not in the 1970's 24 hour rat packs IIRC, not sure about the 10 man packs. Perhaps a former member of the ACC can answer that one.

4(T)

LE
Can someone who served in the late 60’s early 70’s please confirm that there used to be mustard in the ration boxes. I’m sure it came in powder form and you added water to make a paste. Please put me out of my misery and confirm that my meds haven’t been playing tricks with my mind! Thanks in advance.

I think there was indeed mustard in the 10 man packs, at least in the 1980s. There was one (or more) packet in the "open this packet first" pouch that had all the condiments and matches, etc. There was also the blue plastic salt bottle which pretty much never got opened, and which consequently probably lined the pantry shelves of every MQ in BAOR.

There was also the blue plastic salt bottle which pretty much never got opened, and which consequently probably lined the pantry shelves of every MQ in BAOR.
Not just BAOR/RAFG, I had a couple of them for years after I'd left the mob.
As for mustard, I cannot remember ever seeing that in any rat packs, but it's a long time ago.

Can someone who served in the late 60’s early 70’s please confirm that there used to be mustard in the ration boxes. I’m sure it came in powder form and you added water to make a paste. Please put me out of my misery and confirm that my meds haven’t been playing tricks with my mind! Thanks in advance.
All you care to know and more.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I think there was indeed mustard in the 10 man packs, at least in the 1980s. There was one (or more) packet in the "open this packet first" pouch that had all the condiments and matches, etc. There was also the blue plastic salt bottle which pretty much never got opened, and which consequently probably lined the pantry shelves of every MQ in BAOR.
we used them as oil bottles.

Chef

LE

we used them as oil bottles.

Brilliant for leaving in the picnic basket. The resealable lids were also good.

I recall hearing on a course, possibly the chef's course at Grantham, that as everybody reckoned that compo was sourced from 'seconds'* the army in its wisdom issued compo with the standard civilian labels to show that the food was the real thing.

That was stopped PDQ as people were flogging it off to local corner shops.

* The bacon grill was marked up with Danish QC stamps.

oldnotbold

War Hero
Yes, there was mustard powder in the old compo boxes.

Looking at that rations website, why are people so fascinated with 25 year old tins of food that most of us hated at the time?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Brilliant for leaving in the picnic basket. The resealable lids were also good.

I recall hearing on a course, possibly the chef's course at Grantham, that as everybody reckoned that compo was sourced from 'seconds'* the army in its wisdom issued compo with the standard civilian labels to show that the food was the real thing.

That was stopped PDQ as people were flogging it off to local corner shops.

* The bacon grill was marked up with Danish QC stamps.
who made the MOD baked beans though? I understood the MOD decided it could make its own better ones..

clothears

War Hero
Yes, there was mustard powder in the old compo boxes.

Looking at that rations website, why are people so fascinated with 25 year old tins of food that most of us hated at the time?

The stewed beef made a nice pie.

The chicken curry was awesome on a cold, February night in the back of beyond BAOR. Remember there were no deliveries and a decent Chinese restaurant? Fancy a 35 minute drive?

1. Ration packs were 1 man, 4 man and 10 man. I'm not aware of there being a 14 man pack.

2. Ration packs didn't include sliced meat (as I recall) so there was nothing to put mustard on - although there were doubtless company chefs who added a bit in all-in stews to give a bit of oomph.

3. I do have a vague recollection of seeing tiny single-serving tubes of mustard but wouldn't swear that they were in ration packs. More likely I saw them in camping shops but I may just be imagining them.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
1. Ration packs were 1 man, 4 man and 10 man. I'm not aware of there being a 14 man pack.

2. Ration packs didn't include sliced meat (as I recall) so there was nothing to put mustard on - although there were doubtless company chefs who added a bit in all-in stews to give a bit of oomph.

3. I do have a vague recollection of seeing tiny single-serving tubes of mustard but wouldn't swear that they were in ration packs. More likely I saw them in camping shops but I may just be imagining them.

1. What are you talking about.? 1+4+10 is 14 isn't it.......oh no wait.. :rolleyes:

2. Seriously, ISTR there were sliced bacon burgers in a tin at some point, early to mid 80s maybe...? Albeit you'd be hard pressed (geddit) to know they were sliced because the fat congealed the slices together.

3.Dunno.

Cheers.

Londo

LE
Bring back the compo sausages !!!!

BTW they were orrible cold , could not get rid of the taste of lard for at least a day . But hot .....Food of the Gods .

Also loved the chicken supreme , would not eat tinned chicken till I sampled that delicacy . Shame they got rid and replaced with the curry .
Not a great fan of the compo chicken curry although it was edible ( just )
Never ever had the bacon burgers .

10 man packs were the business, particularly when augmented with fresh rations on isolated Rebroadcast detachments. Also, I used to love issuing the Compo vegetarian option to UOTC students in the early 90s. On a wet weekend in bleak Leek, the look on their faces as they caught the tin of cheese possessed lobbed in their direction was a joy to behold! :grin:
Personally can’t remember mustard though.

Also loved the chicken supreme
Chicken supreme, stewed steak and compo sausages all food of the Gods. Also the first two were always recycled through the cook house. Loved the bacon grill in the 24 hour packs. Bacon grill from Tesco doesn't seem the same.

Food of the Devil. Liver and bacon in menu C or D of the 24 hour packs. Steak and Kidney pudding in the 10 man packs, and when Lucifer was breathing fire and damnation on me - Pilchards in Tomato sauce from the 10 man packs.

And what was it with the Treacle pudding in the boil in the bag 90's rations. Did anyone ever eat those? Or was it just the Devil having a laugh with squaddiekind?

Londo

LE
Chicken supreme, stewed steak and compo sausages all food of the Gods. Also the first two were always recycled through the cook house. Loved the bacon grill in the 24 hour packs. Bacon grill from Tesco doesn't seem the same.

Food of the Devil. Liver and bacon in menu C or D of the 24 hour packs. Steak and Kidney pudding in the 10 man packs, and when Lucifer was breathing fire and damnation on me - Pilchards in Tomato sauce from the 10 man packs.

And what was it with the Treacle pudding in the boil in the bag 90's rations. Did anyone ever eat those? Or was it just the Devil having a laugh with squaddiekind?
Yup ! Loved the stewed steak as well . Was never unfortunate enough to ever have the pilchards in tomato sauce although used to use the shop bought stuff for trapping cats .

Having worked in the Ration Stores warehouse, responsible for BAOR, I can confirm that there was mustard powder, and blue plastic salt bottles. Why they needed extra salt is beyond me because that food was rammed with salt anyway.
Oh and if you ever received a 4 or 10 man case that was diffy it’s chocolate and sweets, or matches and sweets in the very early 90’s, chances are it was due to me and Stacker1 nicking them for our NAAFI Break. Sorry about that

Never seen Mustard in 10 man packs in '60s.Some of them packs went further back than '60's when we got them though.Seem to remember Mutton Jock was prolific.

Someone is/was recently selling modern 10 man ration packs on ebay and they still had the tinned sausages , although they are now vegetarian and in oil rather than lard. I think they had big pouches of cooked chicken as well.

Latest Threads