Okay, run this past me again...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Biscuits_Brown, Sep 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. a few posts on here in the last few days which have touched on... Duplicity, shall we say in how the law is enforced here in NI.

So. Today the IMC declares that this Bobby Moffat fellow was murdered by the UVF. Further they state that the murder was sanctioned by the group's "leadership" in order to "assert their authority" withing the community.

And yet they still manage to conclude that they can't declare that the UVF have broken their ceasefire...

WTF?

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If this Bobby Moffat was in the UVF himself, it might be seen as an internal matter, which, albeit illegal does not reflect a failure of a ceasefire, which would ordinarily involve people outside the organisation.

A broken ceasefire would involve actions against opposing forces outside their lot, or the wider civvie community, whereas this one seems like a spat between people ostensibly on the same side in the sectarian 'thing'.

3. Riiiight. Yeah, that could well account for it. :eh:

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

. . . . amid a generalised and extreme reluctance by all parties to declare any of the ceasefires over of course, despite provocations quite numerous, including more than this one killing. Imagine if the UVF ceasefire was declared null and void; what would the other groups make of that? Would they all then feel free to kick off? Some certainly would use it as a green light.

So, I'm going along with it - yep, nothing to see, just a stiff, move along now. :wink:

5. It's the "assert authority" thing that worries me... Seeing as I'm a resident.
    The message seems to be that we should do as this mob says (or any of the other alphabet soup organizations) or, as you say, we'll end up "just a stiff".

Not very good, is it really?

6. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Simple really, stay off the Shankill and watch out for shaven skulls taking their shotguns for a walk.