OK to write?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OldRedCap, Feb 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When you see the info given out by the MOD you have to wonder about OPSEC, I am amazed at the amount of info that can,with a bit of lateral thinking , be gleened fron the net and media. Not long ago they gave out the name of a sniper, and the fact that he came from a small town in Scotland, and it would be no difficult task to find out the address of his family. Some of the blogs by people like Mr Yon must be very close to being an opsec problem. but the Americans seem quit nieve about this sort of thing, Some time ago there was a "Blue on Blue" on British troops in Iraq by the Idaho Air National Guard, and the Americans refused to give the names of the pilots involved, but the IANG website gave all the info required and with a callender, a web phonebook, and some thought it was dead easy to find out who the culprets were and where they lived.did for a living, the companys they worked for, in fact the Airline that one of them worked for had his membership of the IANG, and dates of his tour on there website.
  2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I'm starting to think Opsec is a thing of the past practised only by the old and bold

Seems to me anyone is happy to havbe name address and unit posted all over the net and in the papers and other media if it gets them 5 minutes of fame and a free pint

As C_C states in another thread 20 years ago you didn't admit to being in the forces now they have the Sun on speed dial incase someone refuses them entry into a pub or free rail travel

And when did everyone become a Hero?
    You used to have to charge a machine gun singlehandedly equipped with a bananna to be a hero
  3. As much as some people may doubt how truthful Mr McNabs account of the Bravo Two Zero mission during GW1 there was still a valid reason he and the other members of B20 used pseudonyms. A website publishing the real names of the patrol compromises their personal security, the author would have have used their real names if they didn't wish to remain anonymous.
  4. and you repeating it doesn't??????
  5. In the interests of the PERSEC we're all so interested in here, could you please remove the URL?
  6. I've removed url from posting but it is still showing on Maritimus' quote of original.
  7. Perhaps Opsec and Persec really are not that vital in relation to our current adversaries. They are happy with using crude terrorist weapons to inflict random casualties and, I would hazard, have neither the guts nor the brains to go after prime targets or individuals. In relation to opsec, everything seems to be so media-oreinted today that the Beeb and CNN porbably know what's going on sooner than the people on the ground.
  8. A couple of years ago there was a plot to locate, kidnap and behead a muslim member of the armed forces. Kidnapping and its exploitation for media impact has been widely used by Al Qaeda. In today's society where many have facebook/myspace etc PERSEC retains its vital importance.

EDIT: Story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7250697.stm
  9. Errrr .... 'Andy MacNab' has made the choice, for personal gain, to place himself in the public eye and profit from his connection with SF - and somebody posting a link here to a website that may or may not accurately identify his real name is somehow a breach of his PERSEC ????

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Which in my view makes it doubly important
    With the rise of Facebook Bebo 192.com etc you only need a name and as trooper stated your soon able to find anything about people were they live who they married etc

Re Mcnab etc

I could never work out why Chris Ryan stuck with that cover name and then appeared on TV showing his face at least Mcnab still plays along and hides his
  11. Weight issues mate, fat fekker now.
  12. he's not fat - he's cuddly :D
  13. PERSEC, this is probably classified! :p
  14. Wasn't Yon some SF type? So I'm sure he knows the score?