Ok, time for another one.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by TamH70, Jul 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are your favourite science fiction or fantasy movies? I split the categories up because these films seem to be mixed up in some peoples minds.

I nominate for Sci-Fi:
    The Matrix (the first one, not the two virtually incomprehensible sequels)
    Star Wars (Episodes IV to VI, not the so-called prequels which I haven't had the displeasure of watching fully)
    Akira (I know it was an anime, or cartoon for grown-ups, but the concepts were definitely hard sci-fi)
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day (American spelling seems to concentrate on ditching vowels whenever possible)

For fantasy:
    Clash of the Titans (the original Ray Harryhausen version from the Seventies)
    Willow (with one of the Ewoks sans furry suit and most of the goppingness)
    Stardust (Neil Gaiman's book turned into a very funny and thrilling film with De Niro in drag, :cool: )
    Spirited Away (yep, another anime, but proof Japanese studios can always rip the shit out of anything Disnae ever did.)
    The Lord of the Rings (Peter Jackson's trilogy, not the Ralph Bakshi cartoon version which I thought was poor.)

Any further nominations?

2. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

For the Sci Fi I'd also add Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2, and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. All 3 are anime but all three are brilliant in their own way. And as one criticv famously stated "No Ghost in the Shell, no Matrix. Its as simple as that." I'd also have to add Blade Runner (director's cut) ande Avatar into the mix. While no single element of Avatar was in itself breath-taking appart from the visual effects and 3D, everything was done well and work fantastically together.

Fantasy is harder... Again I'd have to throw in a Studio Ghibli title Princess Mononoke. I also like Crouching Tiger. Would The Last Samurai count as fantasy or fictionalised history? I suspect the latter which rules it out from this thread. But tis such a good film I have to sneak a mention in ;)
  3. I loved "The Last Samurai" too, it was the only movie that Hollywood made that came close to showing the spirit and ethos of the Samurai warriors that I have spent large chunks of my life reading about, and picking up various arcane bits of knowledge and misknowledge of them as well.

edited to add:
    I didn't really like Crouching Tiger much, I prefer movies and films that leave one crying with joy or laughter rather than with bitter tears of sorrow at the end (yep, I am a blouse, girls, size large, at times.)
  4. Sci Fi: Silent Running.

Fantasy: Anything by Harryhausen, from Jason and the Argonauts to Clash of the Titans, when special effects had to be worked on, not drawn on a screen.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I dont do fantasy - hard sf or nowt.

however, for sf -

Silent Running
    Rollerball (1975 version, natch)
    The Man Who Fell To Earth
    Escape From New York
    They Live
    The Terminator
    Blade Runner
    The Andromeda Strain
    THX 1138
    Phase IV
    Logan's Run
    The Thing From Another World
  6. The Jim Caan version of Rollerball really does rock. I have never seen the remake of it with LL Cool J in it, though from what I have read, I don't think I missed much. And I absolutely love Logan's Run, and not just for the lovely Jenny Agutter in very loosely draped (yet tight on the important bits) short dresses.

7. Rollerball (1975) was the biz. The first time I saw it I felt violently sick with the game scenes. Whilst the rest of the film was sheer pleasure - the music; the shooting of the trees and the futuristic ideals of the population.

The Andromeda Strain (1960's?) was another great film. Completely topical for the era - biological warfare.

I would add to the Sci-Fi list:

Dune (the book was an impossible act to follow).
  8. Favourite Sci Fi:
    Forbidden Planet With Leslie Nielsen.
  9. From BarkingSpider:
    "Favourite Sci Fi:
    Forbidden Planet With Leslie Nielsen."

Wasn't that a re-imagining of Wagglestick's "The Tempest"?
    I really really really hate the so-called "Bard of Avon", and hate even more the amount of quotes of his I use. Argh.

10. Yes, but it was the first appearance of Robbie the Robot. Later made much more famous in 'Lost in Space'.
  11. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Blade Runner but the book(do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) was better as is often the case.

Farenheit 451 is also very good.
  12. OK to Stardust - but where are the classics here? Krull, Ladyhawke. 80s films at their insanely low budget best.

For special effects in Sci Fi - Serenity

For best random humour in a Sci Fi film - Galaxy Quest (anyone seen the extras with the cut scene showing why her skin tight jumpsuit gets ripped off?)
  13. Yup, Galaxy Quest was brilliant, I think the only way that it would have been better if they used the classic Star Trek T.V. series cast.
    Major funny.