Ok so..

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Phil123, Sep 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok so, i just joined the T.A today, i did the oath,medical and got all the paperwork needed done. So next up all the training. What can i expect when i go here, come on be serious guys i don't want any stupid comments in this thread, want decent people with decent answers.
  2. Try the TA Forum FAQ's
    You should find what you need in there.
  3. Depends who you have joined and what job you are doing ? Hard work,lack of sleep etc .etc :D
  4. Gonna be a gunner mate. And sorry for not checking the FAQs.
  5. No need to apologise blimey :D
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Phiul 123 - welcome to Arrse and well done for asking for some advice.

Firstly - army time is 1-2,3 -1

Secondly, as you have unashamedly admitted to wishing to become a 'Drop Short' you have to take some issues on board.

a. When you have completed training you will be allowed to sign out an ego. Remember, this is only on loan and must be returned at the end of the weekend/camp/course.

b. Once you have realised that the Long Range Snipers are really infill for boots on the ground and that the chances of you using those big bangy things outside a training area are slim, and really you will be stagging on at the gate if you go on ops, then you will relaise that you have chosen poorly. (IMHO :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

c. Egos are fine, but learn to live without one from Monday to Friday :evil:

awaits incoming
  7. If you have been allowed to join that most excellent of Regiments, The Royal Regiment Of Artillery ("Killing The King/Queen's Enemies Since 1761"), then you need to know it's written Gunner, with a capital "G", like you would when referring to God :D

Once CMSR is out of the way, the type of Battery you've joined will dictate the sort of things you'll be doing in the future.

If you're in a Field Battery, with guns or missiles, you could be working at the gun end on a gun/launcher crew, or possibly up at the OP, "spotting" for the guns.

In an Air Defence Battery, you'll almost certainly be part of a launcher crew with either HVM (the little rocket) or RAPIER (the bigger rocket).

If you scoot along to this site and download the file with the hyperlink labelled RA Progression Table Gunner RA Crewman TA you'll get an idea of the types of courses and career progression you might expect.

If you intend to try for a commission and become an officer, other rules apply, but there are career maps on the same page.

If you need any help, please feel free to ask, via PM if you'd rather not do it in public.

Kind regards

8. Infantry myself so have no idea what gunners do ,but,basic training is the same for everyone .Drill ,shooting,Field craft .Hard work but fun .
  9. Excellent guys, cheers for all the words. I know its not gonna be a walkover by any means, its just hard to get a good idea of what goes on in proper T.A training when you get people on the street having no idea (inc me) what amount of training the t.a does. Then there are the asses who think they could do it, but really couldn't. Thanks for the welcome.
  10. Nice one Phil, You won't go far wrong then!!
  11. In todays war clime' where many TA are being sent to hot, dangerous, sandy far away places I'm surprised you've signed the dotted line AND THEN asked what's the game all about! Yep, you'll make a great gunner alright!
  12. Nono... i didn't ask what i placed my name on the dotted line for, i wished to find out what the training involved. Not the places i will be going or what will happen when deployed.
  13. Sorry, I misunderstood your question (gunner material I be :roll: )!

Still, in todays climate all power to your elbow for joining up. I hope you do well. Training? A doddle compared to yesteryear I suppose, but whatever they throw at you, keep schtumm and get on with it. Good luck mate.
  14. Nice one Phil. Remember the golden rule;

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be just a vulgar brawl.
  15. Cool, cheers mate. Ah i know with all the current situations there is a chance of being deployed, or even killed possibly in action. But its better doing the t.a than doing shelf stacking. Im a student still, so i know the money isn't much. But every little helps.