Ok daft Q

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by clayp1g, Mar 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As has been mentioned on an earlier post Ugly, Archer and I had a look over a straight pull SLR over the weekend.

The question is, now it has no gas parts and new barrel, will there be a slight increase of mv due to some of the gas, not being bled off to cycle the working parts?

Standing by with helmet on... thanks.
  2. A minimal difference I think, as the round has already reached near max mv by the time it passes the gas aperture. Just my tuppence.
  3. Nope, none, zilch, nada. As stated above, mv is reached before the gas would be ported off to the working parts.
  4. It would depend if the length of the barrel was matched to the burn-time of the propellant . Generally the effect would be marginal but if the barrel was stupid long then it may affect it.
  5. I seem to remember it's something like 0.5%, which is less than the standard deviation of the mv anyway, so is very difficult to measure.

The only data I've seen which showed a meaningful difference was for .300 Whisper subsonic loads in an AR15 with gas on & off, but then you've got FAR less powder, and sh1t loads (proportionally) is taken off very near to the chamber. I could look it up if someone cares.
  6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Can you still call it an SLR then?

If it doesn't do the SL part?
  7. It now means "Shooter Loaded Rifle"......

"Sadly Limited Rifle".......

8. You can if you're an old fart who used the originals!

If you're a young fart, you can call it something like a "straight pull FAL or L1A1" or a "big black gun thingy."
  9. i had my hands on a Imbel FAL in .308/7.62 a few weeks ago...with bipod and scope fitted... very front heavy....had to put my name on it.....not guaranteed to get it....but it got me all excited...hehehe
  10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Will the "excitement" not make the prone position a tad uncomfy?
  11. quite possibly...hehehe (-;=
  12. That'll be the Anglo Custom one then ;-P

I'll let you know when I pick mine up, hopefully next week.
  13. I'm an old fart, but I didn't get to fire the originals, so i'm not sure what I should call it :|
  14. Well did you get it?????
  15. It should have pitched up at my FEO today :) (along with another one for someone else, coincidence!), but I can't get there to pick it up until Friday :crying:

I have seen the pictures from another couple of lucky new owners that have theirs over on Milsurps, they look good, lucky beggars!