OJAR Language

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Briney, Jul 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am an Army Officer currently serving with the RN, and I have been asked to look at my OJAR draft. The language they use is very different to that used by the Army, and my first reaction was that I would be seriously career- fouled if this OJAR were to go forward. What I need to know is whether there is a guide to writing OJARs that has all the 'hidden' language? e.g 'Must command, should be promoted early, can't even command respect' etc.

Any help gratefully received- Thanks!
  2. One could argue that there shouldn't be any hidden language in an OJAR!

Pressing "F1" within Report Writer brings up a fairly comprehensive instruction for completing the OJAR. Try that.

It should be immediately obvious to the Board that your report was written by a Naval chappie and would be treated as such.

Unfortunately, this is the world of "Jointery"!

Edited to correct my poor English!
  3. JSP 505 is the OJAR bible - as it is a JSP there should be parity across the services!! Maybe you should point this out to your RO, I assume this is your 1st RO. There should be some "green" input somewhere in your reporting chain to translate from Dark Blue Speak! The JSP is quite a thick volume so failing all else you could always hit him/her with it!!!

4. Discuss it with your 1RO and give him a variety of phrases that you would like included. Explain what they mean and he can choose what fits. If you are in a staff job then he can't directly recommend you for command. He will need to be cleverer about it.

Happy to provide more advice by PM.