OIL RIGS

I think they were Mi8s?
Mi-17. Tail rotor is on the starboard side on a Mi-8. -17 is basically an -8 for furrin people.

Although I've a notion that in Russian military service it's called an Mi-8MT so - yeah; fuggit. If they want to be confusing and mad and all that, let 'em!

Survey side (Geophysical) things seem to be picking up, I even managed work in December last year a first for a long time. Email and phone has been crazy this week with offers of potential work, fingers crossed it materialises.

Survey side (Geophysical) things seem to be picking up, I even managed work in December last year a first for a long time. Email and phone has been crazy this week with offers of potential work, fingers crossed it materialises.
Guessing onshore?
Have seen friends pick up stuff in some interesting countries - just not seeing mass land fleets shaking on the horizon anytime soon (except in Saudi....).
lots of people like Arkex have also disappeared/been folded up into bigger less agile players.

A couple of industry grey heads reckon those medium sized companies that survive will be the ones that have lots of land seismic already in the bank.

Mi-17. Tail rotor is on the starboard side on a Mi-8. -17 is basically an -8 for furrin people.

Although I've a notion that in Russian military service it's called an Mi-8MT so - yeah; fuggit. If they want to be confusing and mad and all that, let 'em!
Shocking. Its not like the Russians to take something relatively simple, and then massively complicate it. So out of character for them.

Shocking. Its not like the Russians to take something relatively simple, and then massively complicate it. So out of character for them.
"Gunships you say, sir? Mi-24 Hind, you say? Step this way, sir - have a butchers at this lovely Mi-35, what with you being furrin n'all."

Guessing onshore?
Have seen friends pick up stuff in some interesting countries - just not seeing mass land fleets shaking on the horizon anytime soon (except in Saudi....).
lots of people like Arkex have also disappeared/been folded up into bigger less agile players.

A couple of industry grey heads reckon those medium sized companies that survive will be the ones that have lots of land seismic already in the bank.
Abu Dhabi seismic has been a constant over the last four years and I believe there is a big program of shooting coming up

yep 3 years in russia is enough for me to be honest, i cover from Taklakan ( Irkutsk region) Samara in the south west to Usinsk in the north, and travel is a pain, 12 hr train rides, with drunk locals is no real fun.. but in a time where a lot were laid off im happy to have been still working etc.. we also use Utair Mi8 choppers, very basic, but in -60 it needs to be to be honest

Abu Dhabi seismic has been a constant over the last four years and I believe there is a big program of shooting coming up
Chances are it will be a BGP monopoly on land seismic.
Most US companies seem to have gone to booming domestic markets and Western Geco are changing direction to more processing WesternGeco exiting seismic acquisition business
CGG seem to be doing their own french thing and keeping a Tech focus, however given the Chinese willing ness to copy what they can't innovate, that's a very shakey (boom boom) to keep a market advantage

I’m still in Norway after 8 years , prior to that I was in India and a few other locations . Norway has had it’s moments but we’ve managed to get by ! Well intervention appears to be picking up especially in Aberdeen as Aka Q serve are looking for folk , Halliburton Aberdeen have a massive contract starting in Denmark so they’ll be looking for folk for the Coiled Tubing work . Im with Baker Hughes , we seem to be dragging our feet over taking on folk but then that’s down to the boss !

Norway seems to be on the up so I plan on staying here on my 2 on 3 off , I’d take a pay cut just to stay on this rota lol I managed a trip over in the U.K. sector last October and was shocked by how **** it’s become !

Gore Vega and OPS ( agency work )are getting busy so if you have a Coiled Tubing / Well intervention background and have a few trips under your belt give them a bell.

Last edited:
yep 3 years in russia is enough for me to be honest, i cover from Taklakan ( Irkutsk region) Samara in the south west to Usinsk in the north, and travel is a pain, 12 hr train rides, with drunk locals is no real fun.. but in a time where a lot were laid off im happy to have been still working etc.. we also use Utair Mi8 choppers, very basic, bu in -60 it needs to be to be honest
Lol I feel your pain, I was on the salym (SPD) project for 18 months years ago. I quite liked the train though as long as someone else bought my ticket and I didn’t have to fight the non queuing locals to the ticket window and sign language my requirements, rude bastards

I had to walk around two bits of the same suicide to climb on the train once. Already frozen the body eminated pure vodka fumes :mrgreen:

A hard place to exist

Lol I feel your pain, I was on the salym (SPD) project for 18 months years ago. I quite liked the train though as long as someone else bought my ticket and I didn’t have to fight the non queuing locals to the ticket window and sign language my requirements, rude bastards

I had to walk around two bits of the same suicide to climb on the train once. Already frozen the body eminated pure vodka fumes :mrgreen:

A hard place to exist
i was Supervisor for our SPD rig, so its a small world... but it gets tiring, trying to bring a higher standard of Engineering ops, and soon as your back is turned they revert back to the standard old practice before your on the chopper....
but hey ho, Oman and Saudi are looking up so its time for a change ;)

Guessing onshore?

Sorry should have said Offshore. In the last 6 years I have done one Oil/Gas related job everything else has been windfarm or cable work.

Hi everyone

Just after some advice, I am looking at leaving the army in the near future and looking at different career options. Just wondering if anyone out there is working on the oil rigs or has worked on oil rigs. Just after some general info.

Cheers

MB
MB , Do you have a trade that would suit/fit that career ? If so , research the offshore courses OPITO.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
exbluejob The NAAFI Bar 42
unicorn77 Finance, Property, Law 27
J Jobs (Discussion) 23