oil on the drive.

I need help (practical not mental) our new drive, well about 18 months old, has oil stains, my two live in offspring decided to buy a couple of old knackers, and they have left a sea of oil stains, how do I get rid of them without damaging the tarmac, serious answers please, although I know i will get the sarkey and funny comments, goes with the territory I guess. HELP.

dontenn

On ROPS
On ROPs
A high pressure wash after a good scrub with Gunk or petrol, and loads of elbow grease.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I need help (practical not mental) our new drive, well about 18 months old, has oil stains, my two live in offspring decided to buy a couple of old knackers, and they have left a sea of oil stains, how do I get rid of them without damaging the tarmac, serious answers please, although I know i will get the sarkey and funny comments, goes with the territory I guess. HELP.

Have a look at Pinterest as there are several suggestions that may help.

dontenn

On ROPS
On ROPs
If the drive is block paved you could buy a removal tool and turn stained ones upside down.

(Or get some more used oil and cover the whole driveway)
Sod the environment.

Forgot to mention that I have a bottle of super hot burn your guts out sauce, which allegedly can strip paint and remove oil stains from driveways.

still staggin

War Hero
You're obviously an infantry signaller as you wouldn't need elementary cleaning advice such as you seek if you had been in the Royal Corps.

If or when all else fails, then maybe Dingerr or HE117 could help.
Neighbours may not appreciate their efforts, but it would be effective.

The nomadic unpaid members of the caravan club in my area use old tarmac mixed with diesel and recycle it for an expensive fee to the unsuspecting.

The problem being the tarmac does not cure and becomes a sticky mess.

Avoid applying oil or diesel to your tarmac unless you want a similar result.

Try bushing dry soft builders sand on the tarmac to soak up the old oil.

Power washing can be tricky as if the oil has been absorbed it can cause the tarmac to lift.

For a small area, Wickes sell a tarmac mix which you can apply yourself, use a old garden roller and a fence post to level off.

Oil stains on tarmac...

The best you can hope for would be to try a poultice of limestone dust but really it only stands a chance on fresh oil. Brush it well in and leave for several hours then brush it off (and collect for disposal as hazardous waste if you're being a good boy). Personally, for the good that it will do, you're probably better off going to church and praying for a miracle.

You can't use a solvent as this will rot the tarmac so you're left with a hot water jet wash. In conjunction with a visit to church (best to spread your bets and also spend some time in a synagogue and a couple of temples), you might make it better but I wouldn't be too hopeful.

If it were me, I'd give it a quick splash with hot water and washing up liquid, a bit of a brush and a rinse. That's more to prevent traipsing the oil into the house than anything else. Wait a year or two and you probably won't notice the stains.

Last edited: