Oi! Who knicked the Pickled Eggs !

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by shagnasty, Dec 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Remember the jar of pickled eggs? For that matter a jar of pickles? Every Naafi bar had these as an aperitif before the main course of Amstel, San Mig or Tiger menu. Most pubs had them too.

.....So who knicked them and is there a pub anywhere still offering these delicacies?????? :D
  2. Just seen some in a shop Munster on Saturday. Might be a bit far for you to travel though.
  3. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

My local used to do this, then went all "wine bar'y" and now does mixed nuts and mixed olives. The chippy round the corner still does em though!
  4. Costco. Catering style huge jar of the buggers. Disgusting things!
  5. My local chippy does them, tried one once, never again
  6. Mmmmmm a pickled egg in a bag of crisps, truely the food of kings when in the pub. :)
  7. Or make your own?

Ok sorry I forget where I am sometimes, my local chippy has them still, but quite a few of the others dont. The pubs never have done (that I remember) but Im not sure Id want to eat one after a few beers.
  8. Sorry mate i knicked the lot.

I forgot our Anniversary, rubbed the vinegar in my eyes.

Result, loads of tears, from "me" and her. Best BJ ever.

9. Proper pubs up north still flog them. Aim for the ones that still have curtains at the windows and a parade of motobility scooters outside!
  10. Proper pickled eggs should be in real malt vinegar, not that clear watery stuff they use these days. The eggs need to be kept in the vinegar long enough to develop a tough skin. They should be sold over the bar in those little paper cake dish things. Smothered in salt, and eaten at a ratio of three per pint of decent bitter. These are the rules.
  11. Brings back long forgotten memories of pickled onion races in the NAAFI.

You know, when you had a loader at one end of the room and a bucket at the other?

Ahh, the way my sphincter used to ache.....
  12. Eat enough pickled eggs and owning a sphincter can be an irrelevance for many days after.
  13. Duke of York in Eccles used to do them pickled in chilli vinegar,eggs and onions.Served in little paper dishes with loads of black pepper. Best bet nowadays is likely to be the rougher Joey Holts pubs ,at least in Manchester
  14. Never been to Manchester, will certainly not set foot in the place now. Black pepper indeed, bloody perverse.