OI!! Jamie Oliver: Someone in the USA gets it!! Spam cookhouses to go all healthy

#1
Just encountered this report on the (US) Army Times website. Some interesting snippets in it, not least about the difficulties faced by US recruiters in finding potential recruits (the last part of the extract):

The Army plan to change how you eat, drink

By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Sep 27, 2010 18:26:07 EDT

Big changes are coming to hundreds of chow halls. Soda fountains will be replaced with milk and juices. Half of all vending machine snacks will be healthy. Short orders will be cut back. Fried foods are out, and baked foods are in.

The changes are taking place at basic training and most of the 217 advanced schools. But don’t be surprised if the chow hall overhaul also happens on your post, as big Army is thinking about making the changes Armywide.

“U.S. Army Forces Command is aware and profoundly interested in the Soldier Athlete initiative,” FORSCOM spokesman Paul Boyce said. “We anticipate learning more details from Training and Doctrine Command about this new program’s innovations in the months to come and will then determine how best to potentially implement its strengths into future unit-level programs.”

The “Soldier Athlete” initiative of which Boyce speaks is a bold new program that treats and trains new soldiers like athletes. It is the latest project of Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, who, in the past year, has revolutionized basic training, physical fitness and marksmanship.

Perhaps the most eyebrow-raising aspect of this three-tiered program is its “Soldier Fueling Initiative,” which no longer “feeds” but rather “fuels” the soldier. The goal is to train the soldier to eat and drink healthier items that not only prepare him for strenuous physical activity, but also fuel him throughout the endeavor and aid in his recovery afterward.

“This is not simply about going to the salad bar to lose weight,” Hertling said. “You’re an athlete, and your performance depends on how you fuel. This is about how you work your body’s energy systems to contribute as a soldier. You’re an athlete, and you need to treat your body as such.”
========

Before you have a coronary, realize that most of your favorite foods will still be available — with some modifications:

• Fried chicken and French fries will be baked.

• Pasta and bread will be whole-grain.

• Vitamin- and electrolyte-enriched drinks will replace soda at most meals.

• Low-fat frozen yogurt will replace cakes and pastries for dessert.

• The greasy pleasures of the short-order bar will be significantly limited.

• Fresh fruits and vegetables will be in abundance.

“It’s going to be food that helps them perform better, and it’s going to be accompanied by an education program so they understand why eating this way is not deprivation, but rather beneficial,” TRADOC surgeon Col. (Dr.) Karen O’Brien said.

Specifically, the one-hour nutrition training common to basic training will expand to the Basic Officer Leaders Course and AIT schools. In addition, healthier foods will be identified by green labels, while moderate foods will have the cautionary yellow. And yes, the chow halls will still have some “low-performance, empty-calorie” red-tagged foods. But the goal is to teach soldiers what they should avoid and how to identify healthy choices in restaurants, grocery stores — and big Army chow halls — when color codes are not available.
================

Hertling himself took issue with the food served in combat, which he described as “obscene.”

“I gained 20 pounds as a division commander over there,” he said. “You should not gain weight in combat.”

He acknowledged that some people will gain weight due to “stress eating,” which is marked by a craving for more fats and sugars. But the general said a greater contributor is the “27 different types of meals with all kinds of gravy and things that aren’t healthy for you,” as well as the ice cream shops and burger joints.

Hertling said he has not spoken with Gen. David Petraeus, who now heads up the International Security Assistance Force, but said he agreed with Gen. Stanley McChrystal’s order to remove the fast food from Afghanistan.

“Those things significantly compete with logistic demands in terms of priority,” Hertling said. “There is a have and have-not scenario because the guys on the big FOBs get a burger place while the guys in the little patrol bases never do, and the third thing is it is not healthy.”

Shortly after Army Times’ interview with Hertling, Petraeus reversed the order and now permits fast food in the ‘Stan.
================

As deputy commanding general for initial military training, Hertling has the unenviable task of increasing the health and performance of soldiers who hail from an overweight and arguably malnourished society.
================

The changes inherent to Soldier Athlete are increasingly necessary as the Army is faced with an increasingly obese and unhealthy recruiting pool, Hertling said.

“We are only able to recruit about 25 percent of the population pool because the other 75 percent are too obese, have mental issues or a criminal past,” he said. “So the ones we’re really looking at are not in as good of shape as they were in the past.”

The obesity rate among 17- to 24-year-olds has increased from 14 percent to 23 percent in the past 10 years, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. From 1998 to 2008, the number of states in which 40 percent or more of young adults are overweight or obese grew from one to 39. The fact is not lost on Hertling, who described the negative trends he has seen in the ability of new soldiers to pass the entry-level fitness test that includes one minute of sit-ups, one minute of push-ups and a one-mile run.

He attributed this to a variety of reasons such as bad nutritional choices, changes in physical education programs in public schools and a generation that is “playing baseball with their thumbs instead of a bat and glove.”

“All of those things are contributing to the type of soldier we are getting,” he said. “As an Army, we are representative of the population we serve, and the population is getting larger. And that’s an issue.”

In Full: The Army plan to change how you eat, drink - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times
 
#3
God dammit.

I used to like popping in to the DFAC for a bit of fat boys....
 

Forastero

LE
Moderator
#5
Has the Boardwalk in KAF been reopened after McChrystal shut it? Top move, that.
 

Travelgall

MIA
Kit Reviewer
#6
Pasta and bread will be whole-grain
Poor feckers, wholegrain pasta tastes like shit.

The greasy pleasures of the short-order bar will be significantly limited
If by Short Order bar the Yanks mean the burger bar, the queue for the short order bar won't be significantly limited. Indeed it will be greatly increased.

Fresh fruits and vegetables will be in abundance
Yeah, right ho! Because the Slop Jockeys in Afghanistan and Iraq can pick fresh fruit from the bounteous garden of eden found outside the wire. So it has to get shipped in. And what is going to get shipped, tins of beans and ammo, or perishables for that healthy Asparagus, Kumquat and Aardvark dropping salad that the Chefs plan on knocking up?

Fit to Serve is the greatest issue pamphlet piece of comedy in the British Army. ONE PIECE OF BACON. I can't imagine the US is any different.

Hertling himself took issue with the food served in combat, which he described as “obscene.”

“I gained 20 pounds as a division commander over there,” he said. “You should not gain weight in combat.”
Try eating less food dumbass. Think "No I won't have that 17th piece of Gateau".
 
#7
"Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer"....snigger.
 
#8
I am waiting with anticipation for the first pictures of a, shall he say ''well nourished'' sherman to pop up.

You can see this thread going that way :)
 
#10
#11
I reckon that 60% of the American budget is spent on food. Put on about a stone in a week in Camp Doha. It's an eatathon. All that was lacking was a brothel and a pub. Hand the chef your plate and just follow it the other side of the hotplate. Once you have polished that off, you are free to back again or help yourself to the unlimited supply of magnum ice creams and alcoholic free beer from the chiller in the corner.
 
#12
I always found the scran out in theatre to be top notch. The Brit chefs do their utmost, and there was fresh when possible.

American side....

There was always good fresh and the lardy side. If you pile through the cheese burgers and fries for every meal with lashings of ranch sauce, a muffin or two and a couple of sodas to wash it down with... well.

The salad was always rather nice and there was normally lots of melons.
 
#14
We are only able to recruit about 25 percent of the population pool because the other 75 percent are too obese, have mental issues or a criminal past,” he said. “So the ones we’re really looking at are not in as good of shape as they were in the past.”

So why bother fighting for all the fat lunatic thieves back home?

Not sure he meant it to come out like that.
 
#15



Always amuses me.
 
#16
Top right of picture.... the ubiqutous MIA/POW flag, no doubt with a table under it all laid out for the MIA/POW.

Always makes me want to throw up.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top