Oh you have GOT to be joking . Is it April 1st yet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4354839.stm

US hawk named to run World Bank

President George W Bush has nominated US Deputy Defence Secretary Paul Wolfowitz as the next head of the World Bank, a key development agency.
Mr Wolfowitz has earned a reputation as a hawk during his time as Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's deputy, and was a strong advocate of the Iraq war.

President Bush described Mr Wolfowitz as a "compassionate, decent man" committed to global development.
You have got to be joking. Really, this is a joke right?

I refuse to believe this . It's not possible, who the bloody hell thought this was a good idea?

Might be an internet spoof, but if not 8O

Sounds good to me. We'll hopefully see fewer tin-pot dictatorships begging for handouts to pay for new Mercs and palaces and then whipping up the world's liberals to insist on 'freezing debt repayments'.

PTP no joke Wolfowitz is to head the world bank. Remember Bush was elected this time around :wink: His perogative to appoint whoever he likes, and I tend to agreewith Awols' remarks :D

Who decides who the tinpot dictators are though? I would classify the UK to be near that particular description. Just depends on your opinion I suppose...And the slack jawed Texan of course.

ctauch said:
His perogative to appoint whoever he likes
A strikingly revealing remark, mate. I have no doubt that the nomination is in the President's gift, but the World Bank is not a US federal institution, is it? The clue is in the name.

So would you not agree then that a sterner hand at the helm would be better to steer the decision making at the World Bank? Surely if Dictatorial Governments were starved of 'Loans', 'Government Aid' etc and our money ie TAXPAYERS money, (never a Governments) were directed by a sure and steady and less Liberal hand then more might be achieved? :wink:

hackle said:
ctauch said:
His perogative to appoint whoever he likes
A strikingly revealing remark, mate. I have no doubt that the nomination is in the President's gift, but the World Bank is not a US federal institution, is it? The clue is in the name.
Excellent. Make to Fleet: 'Engage the enemy more closely'

Jack Straw, that hyper-quisling, has endorsed this! Could that man be any more invertebrate? It'd be funny if it wasn't true:

"This is a nomination by the United States government. Paul Wolfowitz is very distinguished and experienced internationally and if his appointment is confirmed we look forward to working with him," Mr Straw said.
Experienced? Yes, experienced in defence matters. He probably wouldn't know poverty if it came up and whacked him on the arrse.

"Sure Mr. Tin-Pot Dictator, you can have as much cash as you like providing you agree to spend 20% with Haliburton/(whichever company I, Rumsfeld or Cheney have got shares in), would you like the number of a good Swiss banker?"

Bladensburg said:
"Sure Mr. Tin-Pot Dictator, you can have as much cash as you like providing you agree to spend 20% with Haliburton/(whichever company I, Rumsfeld or Cheney have got shares in), would you like the number of a good Swiss banker?"
Balls to Haliburton, Bacofoil is where the money is.

It's not a joke, it's absolutely straight up 8O

Rice to head up State Department
Wolfowitz to head up the World Bank

What next Rumsfeld to UNICEF?

What does Mr. Wolfowitz know about banking?

Paul Wolfowitz is very distinguished and experienced internationally
Jack, do you remember travelling all the way to Chile, to tell Allende he was a cnut? Probably not, it was back when you had some bollokks.

Pail Wolfowitz is distinguished by having everything he touches turn to sh*t. Oh sorry, have we forgotten Iraq now? Have we forgotten about the umpteen Billion that's gone missing? Did we forget who was one of those in charge?

Nice . 'Here you go Paul, here's something else for you to break."

There are some EXCELLENT Captains of Industry , Commerce and Finance in the US that could have taken this role. They can't all be Democrats, surely?

Paul Wolfowitz is experienced in dodging RPG rounds, and lying like a hound dawg. I strongly suspect it won't be the last time either.

I wonder what Mr. Wolfowitz's Partner does for a living?

Conceived towards the end of World War II at a conference in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, soon known as the World Bank, played an important role in the post-war reconstruction of Europe. Its first loan, of $250 million, was made to France in 1947. This was followed by other reconstruction loans to the Netherlands, Denmark and Luxembourg the same year.

"That external aid can be usefully mobilized for reconstruction and development has not been lost on Europeans," says World Bank Vice President for Europe Jean-François Rischard. "The EU today provides almost two-thirds of the world's total official development assistance and has contributed significantly to the recent efforts to improve its effectiveness. What is more, the notion of solidarity that is so fundamental to European identity has inspired progressive approaches to development challenges."

The 18 shareholder countries with which the EURVP pursues an ongoing dialogue account for some 30 percent of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)'s subscribed capital and some 45 percent of contributions to the International Development Association (IDA), the Bank's window of support for the poorest countries. European countries'