Oh, Rapture, Oh, Bliss

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Rocketeer, Apr 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently 55 million Americans believe that the end of the world is nigh, and that whern it gets here all those who have ' embraced Jesus Christ as their personal saviour ' will be ' raptured ' outta here. In other words they will disappear from the face of the Earth and be spirited off to Heaven. the rest of us will then endure seven years of really, really bad times before the anti-Christ appears and takes over the wrold using computers. 55 million!! That's almost twice the population of Canada. And some people areworried about a bunch of Muslim fanatics who believe that Heaven is filled with vigins ripe for the taking. Hell, the money being made from rapture books, films and music alone has to be more than enough to buy evil computers for the anit-Christ...never mind Jihad.. bring on the End Times!!!

2. Rocketeer - any possibility of a collection of links to articles that support these figures?

Shouldn't be too hard... ;)

3. This is one of those "left-behind" type stories. You'd be forgiven for thinking that they get their figures by extrapolating out from a potential number of books it may be possible to print on a given subject.

You can read a bit more about similar stuff here.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I see that two of the signs of the apocalypse are a plague of locusts, and the Euphrates drying up.

The river is pretty low at the moment, I'll be sure to let you know when it gets near to drying out, so ARRSErs will get a head start on the others in queuing for the confessionals.

As for locusts - we have indeed had loads of the damn things in Camp over the past week. For some reason they love the taste of pis*, so if anyone leaves a TCU door open overnight the urinal is full of them in the morning - very, very weird indeed.

BTW, for all the best info on this sort of crap, I recommend the old favourite, Chick Tracts - my favourites are on the hideousness of masonry, the satanism of Dungeons and Dragons, and why gays are damned. Good stuff :)

http://www.chick.com/default.asp

5. Info I got on this came from, primarily, a PBS Documentary [ also on Discovery Channel ] called The Rapture... [ admittedly a bit biased with just a smidgin of disdain ] but the numbers and the interviews with potent believers was certainly an eye opener..

I'm running a rapturegoogle to see if I can find some backup info - either that or I'll go down the street and talk to resident second coming advocate [who has a illuminated cross on his lawn ]...

Maybe the Armageddon War will be soon, fought between the Islamic Jihadist Fundamentalists and the Born Again Bible is Accurate Science types for the fate of Israel...

I'm thinking I might have to stock the bunker with some fresh jerky...

6. Isn't it all based on a series of novels?

I read an article about some of these people last year...........seriously strange!

7. aw, geez, Dogface...

knew you were a nutbar, but didn't figure you were one of ' those '... So, are you a Rapurist who hopes to be sucked bodily from the planet to spend the ' end of days' in the bosom of the Lord, or are you hoping to be ' left behind ' to take on the minions of Satan with your personal arsenal?

May the good Lord strike me down with a lightning bolt, but these Christian Fundamentalist'types are as bad as the Jihadists who think that there are 72 virgins panting for their loving up in Allahville once they've martyred themselves with a suicide bomb...

The world isn't going to end in a plague of locust and frogs, or even a war between the Holy Rollers and Towelheads, its going to end because the ' chosen ' [ and that's ALL of us ] who have been given " dominion over the Earth and all the things in it " will have ruined our legacy by sucking everything out of the planet like a grapefruit at a Sunday morning breakfast and left ourselves a crumpled husk to try and exist on in our attempts at amassing ' wealth ' for our perfect lifestyles...

okay, sermon over...

8. explains a lot though doesn't it. Any rational answer to a argument that doesn't have divine blessing = no credibility/ aka someone's secular choice therefore we're all going to hell unarmed.

9. Amen, Brother!

"This is how the world will end, not with a bang, but a whimper."- T.S. Eliot

10. would that be the Minister at the rectory of your local ACC ?

11. There has to be some incentive for a guy who is expected to strap on a bomb, doesn't there?

You and your good Padre don't always agree, or is she not a Holy Roller?

12. I hope it's the former. I, for one, am greatly looking forward to a world without Dogface in it. Let's face it, he's here with us now, doing little else but contributing to increasing already worryingly high Carbon Dioxide levels and cleaning the one-way glass windows in the peep show with only his tongue and a spitoon. I'm not altogether sure how, following his ascent, whatever remains could be worse- even if it involves a duel to the death with Satan's minions.

13. :lol: RC:

Whaile the Good Padre has been known to ' yank my chain ' , she doesn't keep me on a short leash[ not much ]..and so we tendto have soem lively discussions as to where I may end up in the afterlife...

While a faithful servant of the Faith, she is neither a Holy roller nor an Opus Dei type and doesn't preach that the Bible is an ' accurate record' of the creation of the world...

Still, she can hold her own against the best of them and is worthy of my full respect and admiration [ is she still ooking over my shoulder? ]