Oh please, oh please, oh please...

Yes, because a company with annual revenues of $33 BILLION are going to be really down on their arse spending $100 Million of small change.

Ah, but read on. That could only be the start of it.

I was hanging on in there for a snowball effect: the NotW closed because Ford's decision to pull advertising caused many others to follow.

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
According to my "Supersoaraway" New York Times, the decision to bin the NotW may have been made four months ago.
Haven't seen that but a fair few grown-ups are speculating similar. That NotW was the sacrificial goat and Head Goat believed it would prevent Plod asking any more questions and thus speed BskyB into his antipodean hooves. But Plod today is not Plod from 2007. Meanwhile, Cameron is doing what he does best. Deflecting, flapping and hoping a strategy will fall from the sky (see what I did there?) while seemingly oblivious to the depth of public revulsion, not necessarily confined to NotW but directed at the whole of Murdoch's empire. A good week to bury bad news?

The 'Red Carpet' treatment that the likes of Don Ruptured and his Ilk usually receive from UK Politicos has been rolled up. It is being 'cleaned' up a tad ready to be 'rolled out' when the Colonel and his Squillions comes rolling into town looking for asylum.... alleged of course... I joke!

As for the 'News of the Screws' scandal, none of the other Tabloids or others are allowing any comments on thier on their Forums. So as it is all under investigations by Plod, then one supposes that we should keep stum as well until the dust settles.

will Mr Call-Me-Dave keep his distance with a bargepole from Don Ruptered...? Or will he meet the Don in darkened Pubs in back alleys in London Town just to keep the Old Don 'sweet'.... after all, there's another general election in 4 years time.... Plenty of time for brown envelopes stuffed with 'whatever'... to be palmed off..... all alleged of course......

Oh, I do like conspiracies.....

It's obvious that the Wapping Slapper knows to much, She knows which Members of this and the Labour government, Senior Ministers, MPs, Judges,Police Officers, and the kiddy fiddling Catholic church, in fact the whole frigging Establishment. who has done what, to who, and why, and how much they paid, or got paid, for the story or to keep the story out of the NOTW. If she gobs off their whole little world of Westminster will come tumbling down, If I was Brookes I'd stay out of chauffeur driven cars and tunnels in Paris

It's obvious that the Wapping Slapper knows to much, She knows which Members of this and the Labour government, Senior Ministers, MPs, Judges,Police Officers, and the kiddy fiddling Catholic church, in fact the whole frigging Establishment. who has done what, to who, and why, and how much they paid, or got paid, for the story or to keep the story out of the NOTW. If she gobs off their whole little world of Westminster will come tumbling down, If I was Brookes I'd stay out of chauffeur driven cars and tunnels in Paris
She should also avoid any bridges in London and I would strongly advise her against taking walks near wooded areas...:twisted:

It's obvious that the Wapping Slapper knows to much, She knows which Members of this and the Labour government, Senior Ministers, MPs, Judges,Police Officers, and the kiddy fiddling Catholic church, in fact the whole frigging Establishment.

Surly not, and what short memories the Guardianista's have.

Surly not, and what short memories the Guardianista's have.
Bearing in mind the Guardian, and most of it's readers, hated Blair like poison as the Grand Betrayer of the labour movement, and the only reason this phone hacking story cropped up in the first place was down to the investigative efforts of Guardian journalist Nick Davies, what is your point?

You don't think the DMail, who head the league table for jobs done by Mulcaire (The NOTW only come fifth) would have exposed this, do you?

This shambles is probably going to be bigger than the expenses scandal, Just how many of the holier than thou establishment of this country were really in Murdoch's pocket, putting the interests of this evil Australian yank before the interest of the people of this country,

"… "We... offered a priceless opening to Ed Miliband, a weak leader who seized his chance to turn on a newspaper group that supported his party through most of its 13 years in power.
"Politics is about opportunism, and if he can't squeeze capital out of this catastrophe at David Cameron's expense, then he's no politician at all.
"What is thoroughly contemptible, though, is the posturing, high-minded and politically prejudiced BBC. This media monster, which blows £2.3BILLION a year in public money, is bound by charter to be impartial and is anything but."

Trevor Kavanagh, associate editor of The Sun

"Why on earth did you go to the Murdoch parties?", a reporter asks Ed Miliband.

He says:
"Contacts with journalists, contacts with proprietors will not cease after this. It would be dishonest of me to say otherwise. But just as journalists need to be able to speak out against politicians despite personal relationships, so must politicians be able to speak out against the press."

So still snuffling up to the 'gutter press' eh Ed?

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer

"What is thoroughly contemptible, though, is the posturing, high-minded and politically prejudiced BBC. This media monster, which blows £2.3BILLION a year in public money, is bound by charter to be impartial and is anything but."

Remind me who owns the Sun and who pays Trevor's wages? And should Rupert get his hands on BskB who will be his main competitor in UK broadcast?

Trouble with Rupert is, he has treated his punters like mugs for so long he assumes the UK is populated by mugs. The coppers now on his case are not mugs. Rupert believes that if Twiglets Brooks sticks to her "I know nuffink" line, that is the cut-out for him and his lad. OK, try this...

The way a newspaper works is, the reporters tap their sources and gather the raw info. This is re-written by sub editors who check the veracity of the info, checked by legals and signed off by the editor with whom the buck stops (Piers Morgan didn't write the story that finished him as an editor, but he was the editor, so he got binned).

Plod unearths a line from a newspaper (this one made up but countless examples exist)...

"Rio devastated that Cheryl is pressing for divorce and wont speak to him. He is leaving emotional late night messages on her phone a source close to the couple say..."

*Plod*. "So, journo / sub / Rebekah, you are not likely to forget so valuable a source as a 'friend' prepared to grass up his mate and hand you a scoop. Give me the name please?"

"What? You have all forgotten the name? Gosh. OK, let us take the next ten examples of exactly the same 'A friend of the couple says...' articles. Names please"

Because if, out of ten examples, they cannot remember their source, a suspicious Plod might conclude the paper had got this info by other means.

Lying to your mates, your spouse, the public is one thing. Lying to good coppers or worse, under oath to a judge, is quite another.

"… "What is thoroughly contemptible, though, is the posturing, high-minded and politically prejudiced BBC. This media monster, which blows £2.3BILLION a year in public money, is bound by charter to be impartial and is anything but."

Ha ha ha! Does the Sun tv reviewer still give every single film that appears on Sky a five star rating?

'Sun/Sky/Fox News journo slags off BBC'.

Aka bears/woods etc. Dear me!

FFS for the first time ever I find myself siding with Sami Chakrabarti, her take in the Huff post

Shami Chakrabarti: The News of the World: no Wonder They Hated Human Rights...

""Here at Liberty, the News of the World saga has been punctuated by the sound of a thousand pennies dropping. Why do tabloid tycoons and editors seem to hate human rights so much? Is it just pure loathing of foreign nationals who must enjoy human rights too? That always seemed curious given the international nature of modern media empires. Is it a genuine belief that the rights of victims can never be reconciled with fair trials and the basic rights of suspects, defendants and convicted criminals? That seems increasingly unlikely given the naked criminality and contempt for victims of war, murder and terrorism demonstrated by this phone-hacking shame.

Or is the answer somewhat simpler?

Article 8 of the Convention on Human Rights (now in the Human Rights Act) created a right to respect for private and family life for everyone in Britain. The modern criminal offence relating to phone-hacking was created as a direct response to the need to comply with Article 8. No wonder they hated our human rights so much and railed against the HRA week after week from leaders, comment pages and so-called news coverage: "Gag on our rights" (May 2011), "Asylum let-out clause" (April 2011), "Where human rights make one big wrong" (February 2011), "But isn't it time for a national cap on the number of lawyers?" (December 2010), "Axing rights would be a wonderful act" (May 2010), "Rights mess" (January 2010).

The tragedy of the House of News has no doubt further to run. The former titans arrested today and in the future will sensibly invoke their rights to lawyers and fair trials under Article 6 of the Human Rights Act. Any dangerous attempts at state censorship of the press should rightly be resisted with the help of Article 10, which guarantees free speech. But whatever happens in the future, press tirades against our modern British Bill of Rights - the Human Rights Act, which protects dignity, equal treatment and fairness for everyone - will ring rather hollow from now on.""

NOTW paid Royal Protection Officers for info,,,allegedly

Currently the dates of things stack in her favour and that is what she, and her puppet master, are relying on. The only obvious grey area is that she has submitted the oft used excuse of 'being on holiday' while she was in the team during the Dowler hacking. That being the only point for the calls of her resignation.

Her downfall will be a long time coming but I do think it will come.